Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP ACs at Colton Tower

Date: 05/14/19 18:00
SP ACs at Colton Tower
Author: odub

I've set up a facebook group entitled Elmer K Hall Rail Photographs.  It takes just too much time to post photos in multiple places so any of you who have facebook accounts, you're more than welcome to check out Elmer's pictures in his facebook group.  I will keep posting some here, but not all. All photos Elmer K Hall, my collection.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

SP AC-6 4133 is running backwards as it returns to Colton Yard after performing helper service.  Circa 1950. 
SP AC-8 4187 heads into Colton Yard with a string of 30 cars.  Check out the 40 foot boxcars on either side of train.  Circa 1950. 
SP AC-10 4211 storms out of Colton Yard with 84 cars on June 18, 1950.  A bit out of focus, but a very dynamic photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 18:01 by odub.

Date: 05/14/19 18:36
Re: SP ACs at Colton
Author: timz

What's that marker just L of the engine in pic 2?

Date: 05/14/19 18:43
Author: RailRat

Very Nice!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 05/14/19 20:30
Author: MojaveBill

Memories...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/14/19 21:12
Re: SP ACs at Colton Tower
Author: krm152

Nice photo series.  Would like to see one running.
Thanks for your post.
ALLEN

Date: 05/14/19 22:51
Author: cewherry

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's that marker just L of the engine in pic 2?

Good question. The best I can make out is the number "14" which does not correspond to the mile post location of
Colton Tower, MP538.7 on the SP or MP2.9 on the Santa Fe which leads me to conclude that the "14" possibly refers to
a demarcation line between two adjacent section foreman's areas of responsibility. Seems to me that I have seen such
markers on former NP trackage around the Seattle area, but not for many years. If we were able to see the marker from
the position of the locomotive as it approached we might possibly see the number "13" or "15".
Just my guess. 

Charlie

Date: 05/15/19 13:11
Author: johnsweetser

cewherry wrote:

> > What's that marker just L of the engine in pic 2?

> The best I can make out is the number "14" which does not correspond to the mile post location of Colton Tower ... which leads me to conclude that the "14" possibly refers to a demarcation line between two adjacent section foreman's areas of responsibility. Seems to me that I have seen such markers on NP trackage around the Seattle area ... If we were able to see the marker from the position of the locomotive as it approached we might possibly see the number "13" or "15".

Basically correct.  The marker is a section post, used on the SP to delineate the MOW section boundaries.

The SP 
probably started using section posts around 1904.  Most likely, the signs disappeared in the late 1950s when section camps started being eliminated in favor of using highway vehicles to transport track workers.  SP plans for section posts can be obtained at the Calif. State RR Museum Library

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds