Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Last Run of This SP Passenger Train From Oakland Pier

Date: 06/10/19 19:07
The Last Run of This SP Passenger Train From Oakland Pier
Author: MartyBernard

Written on the back is."Train 56, SP's local "passenger" and mail train from Oakland to Los Angeles via the San Joaquin Valley line, leaves Oakland.Pier for the last time behind P-8 Pacific 2475.  The date was Jan. 8, 1955, the time, 10:00 AM."  That is Oakland Pier Tower.  The photographer was John C, Illman.

Thanks Ken Shattock for sending the print,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/19 20:36 by MartyBernard.

Date: 06/10/19 19:42
Re: A Last Run of This SP Passenger Train From Oakland Pier
Author: railstiesballast

Might that be the West Coast Limited?
I have photos from 9/61 that I believe are No. 58, the Owl, at Glendale with diesel power.
IIRC the West Coast was discontinued first.

Date: 06/10/19 19:49
Author: lynnpowell

Train #56 is the "Tehachapi".  Departed the Oakland Pier at 10:00, for a stops everywhere run to Los Angeles, arriving at 06:00 the NEXT MORNING!  I wonder who would occupy the three passenger cars on this train, maybe personnel traveling on a company pass?

Date: 06/10/19 21:44
Author: norm1153

I rode it once circa '54-55, to Manteca.  I was just about the only passenger in the car I was riding in.  But I didn't care! 
Thanks for posting.

Date: 06/10/19 22:12
Author: MojaveBill

One of several trains that visited Mojave in the middle of the night back in the '40s and '50s...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/11/19 11:01
Author: MyfordBrowning

By 1955 No. 56 has lost the Tehachapi name was just a passenger-mail train. The revenue passengers carried were likely short distance travelers.

Date: 06/13/19 18:10
Author: Cupolau

Was this the train that ran down the east side main, San Joaquin Division, through Exeter, Porterville, and Famosa ?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds