Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > The First Eastbound California Zephyr Ready in Oakland

Date: 06/10/19 21:34
The First Eastbound California Zephyr Ready in Oakland
Author: MartyBernard

The caption on the back reads, "WP F3 803 heads the first run of No. 18, the California Zephyr out of Oakland Pier. 3/20/49"  Photographer John C. Illman

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/19 21:42 by MartyBernard.

Date: 06/11/19 07:11
Re: The First Eastbound California Zephyr Ready in Oakland
Author: tgcostello

Thanks Marty.
TC

Date: 06/11/19 08:37
Author: ntharalson

Marty, a big thank you for posting these John Illman photos from the Ken Shattuck collection.  I had the privilege of sitting next to him in 2003 at Winterrail.  He was long
retired by then and living in Olympia, Washington, and wondered aloud why he had moved to a location that had no trains!  He was featured in CLASSIC TRAINS photographes
section, well deserved in my view, and I've enjoyed seeing his photos.  Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago and we can't ask him about these great images you've
been posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion IA

Date: 06/11/19 20:22
Author: SilverView

Marty:Is there a 'tailend' photo of the first CZ leaving Oakland? It would be nice to combine the head end and rear end photos into a nice frame for Zephyr fans' walls.
Mike Abernethy, Silver View

Date: 06/11/19 21:10
Author: MartyBernard

Mike, there is no tail-end photo.  In almost all these photos, the subject is not moving.   Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 21:11 by MartyBernard.

Date: 06/11/19 22:16
Author: dan

portrait of silver lady may have the pics, maybe the same train was on display the day before

Date: 06/12/19 13:21
Author: agentatascadero

Somewhere in the TO archives, there is a photo showing the CZ loading for departure.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds