Home Open Account Help 187 users online

Nostalgia & History > An older photo


Date: 07/11/19 17:32
An older photo
Author: Bob3985

This is a photo my father took when he was in training at Camp Crowder for the Army Signal Corps in World War Two.
This train, I believe he said, would run past the back side of this base and dad captured a shot of it.
Appears to be a KCS/ L&A diesel on the point.
Not a lot of information but thought I would share it with you folks and see what you come up with.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY




Date: 07/11/19 18:22
Re: An older photo
Author: Milwaukee

That's an awsome photo to share with us.   Normally I would expect the helper to be the steam engine and have that be on the point rather than the other way around.  



Date: 07/11/19 18:47
Re: An older photo
Author: refarkas

What a treasure! This may be the only/only remaining photo of this lashup. Thanks for sharing this.
Bob



Date: 07/11/19 19:36
Re: An older photo
Author: stevelv

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's an awsome photo to share with us.  
> Normally I would expect the helper to be the steam
> engine and have that be on the point rather than
> the other way around.  

Same thought occurred to me when I first viewed it.  Great unique historical photo!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/19 19:37 by stevelv.



Date: 07/11/19 21:19
Re: An older photo
Author: cewherry

Here's my guess. Train is unnamed No.9, southward, due to stop in Neosho, Mo. around 1:13PM on its way to New Orleans.
The diesel is EMD E6 No. 24 built in January 1942, scrapped at Pittsburg, Ks. November 1964. Hey, it's a guess.

Charlie



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/19 21:20 by cewherry.



Date: 07/11/19 22:17
Re: An older photo
Author: Odyssey

Thank you Bob for sharing the image ...
I can't add any info but I do appreciate
the history and the uniqueness of the image ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/19 22:19 by Odyssey.



Date: 07/12/19 06:38
Re: An older photo
Author: Bob3985

cewherry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's my guess. Train is unnamed No.9, southward,
> due to stop in Neosho, Mo. around 1:13PM on its
> way to New Orleans.
> The diesel is EMD E6 No. 24 built in January 1942,
> scrapped at Pittsburg, Ks. November 1964. Hey,
> it's a guess.
>
> Charlie
Thanks for the guess Charlie. We will stick with your thoughts until proven wrong.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/19 10:58 by Bob3985.



Date: 07/12/19 16:29
Re: An older photo
Author: agentatascadero

The road engine is working hard, so is not disabled.  The only reason I can think of is a heavy consist....and any "proof" of that is out of view.  Then again, maybe the diesel is brand new, and is out for a test/familiarization run.  One thing we can probably agree upon is that this is a very unusual lashup.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA



Date: 07/12/19 17:51
Re: An older photo
Author: cewherry

agentatascadero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The road engine is working hard, so is not
> disabled.  The only reason I can think of is a
> heavy consist....and any "proof" of that is out of
> view.  Then again, maybe the diesel is brand new,
> and is out for a test/familiarization run.  One
> thing we can probably agree upon is that this is a
> very unusual lashup.

1.5% grade southward leaving Neosho to McElhany.

Charlie



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds