Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Nostalgia & History > CSX Leader on one of the Last Modoc Thru Freights

Date: 08/12/19 10:28
CSX Leader on one of the Last Modoc Thru Freights
Author: spider1319

I think the Modoc had less than a week to go when I recorded these images.The slide box says September 1997.The first image is a westbound blasting out of Wendel and the second picture is at Viewland.Viewland is where the chase ended after I high centered the rental car and recieved a massive coolant leak.The disabled vehicle was bad enough but my wife said there was limited clearance on the road,but I told her not to worry I had been here before.What I forgot was the before was in a high clearance four wheel drive pckup. Anyway ,one of those mistakes never to be forgotten.Bill Webb

Date: 08/12/19 10:44
Re: CSX Leader on one of the Last Modoc Thru Freights
Author: stevelv

Nice photos especially number 2.

Date: 08/12/19 11:20
Author: SP8595

Awesome catch and shots, especially #2! Too bad about getting stuck and ending the chase, been there done that however:{

Date: 08/12/19 11:41
Author: DJ-12

Tearing up the rental was worth it for that last one!

Date: 08/12/19 15:08
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent catches!
JB

Date: 08/12/19 16:01
Author: callum_out

Really rare shots, pool wasn't that common on that line, very nice and certainly worth the effort.

Out

Date: 08/12/19 16:41
Author: mcfflyer

Wow, nice photos.  Sure hated to lose that line.  Wide open spaces of the American West.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 08/12/19 19:16
Author: MILW16

Have to ask - what did the rental car repairs cost you?

Great pictures.  Thanks for posting them (and for the story).

Date: 08/12/19 19:48
Author: GPutz

Thanks for posting these great images.  CSXT SD40-2 #8400 was built 7//69 as WM SD40 #7449.  Gerry

Date: 08/13/19 04:16
Author: rbx551985

Fabulous images.......!  I always wonder if anyone had captured-on-film any of the then-44-car Ringling Bros.' Red Unit Circus Train moving southbound on the Modoc during the Fall of 1989 (en route from Tacoma WA to Salt Lake City UT).  I was on the show that year and was shocked to realize the jointed-rail route we moved south on out of Klamath Falls wasn't the ribbon-rail line toward Dunsmir..... and seeing the coaches zig-zag up the reverse curves an hour or two (?) south of K-Falls was a thrill and a half - even at night, with the spot lights atop the coach sides.  I fell asleep with fatigue not long after those curves (we had SP tunnel motors on the point, if memory serves), and the next morning I awoke to find us stopped at the point where we entered the mainline somewhere near Reno (?) - which is what came instantly back to me after seeing the last image, above.  Darn, we've lost so much - not only the Modoc, but RBBB as well..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/19 04:17 by rbx551985.

Date: 08/13/19 05:20
Author: march_hare

Had a similar experience with my then-new Dodge minivan on my way in to the Pecos River bridge in TX back in 1985. High centered, hard,  on a rock outcrop that was still firmly attached to Mother Earth. 

I got got out of the car, looked underneath, but saw no fluids. So  at the end of the day, I headed back home to Dallas. It’s a long drive. Next morning, there was a puddle of tranny fluid under the car, large enough so that I didn’t chance driving it to the dealer.  I called a tow truck. 

The next day, I got an apologetic phone call from the salesman that sold me the car two weeks earlier. Evidently, a chunk of the aluminum casting that made up the outside of the transmission had broken clean off and disappeared. The repair guys, not knowing that some idiot had hit a rock at 20 mph, decided that there must have been a metallurgical defect in the aluminum casting. So the repair was free, under warranty, and they picked up the towing bill as well. 

Great customer service there, and I referred several customers to the dealership over the next few months. This was back when Iacocca minivans were all the rage, and I’m pretty sure they sold a few to my friends. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/19 17:45 by march_hare.

Date: 08/13/19 11:46
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and intersting series!

Larry

Date: 08/14/19 07:42
Author: spider1319

I forget the rental car company ,but they came out and picked it up and brought a replacement.I lucked out,other than the chase being spoiled and living with the reminder for years to come.Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds