Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tunnel Motor Tuesday . . .

Date: 10/08/19 05:44
Tunnel Motor Tuesday . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   SP's LA area to Bay Area intermodal has just passed a red signal at restricted speed at Ellwood, CA, on the Coast Line in MAR '89. Not sure whether it originates Industry or LA but during this period I believe SP was regularly running an intermodal and a manifest train each direction up and down the Coast route.
JB

Date: 10/08/19 07:25
Re: Tunnel Motor Tuesday . . .
Author: refarkas

The angle looking down into the cut makes this photo even better.
Bob

Date: 10/08/19 12:41
Author: spider1319

Neat shot.I enjoyed looking.Bill Webb

Date: 10/08/19 16:15
Author: Fiftyfooter

This is less than a mile from my house! Back then SP was running in the AM usually 1 SB Trailers out of the Bay Area, usually followed by a Warmsprings Manifest. Then they would meet this train the LABAC and the WB West Colton Warm springs manifest in downtown Santa Barbara. It was like clock work for many years. Usually, 4 freight trains and the Coast Starlight all went thru by 1:00 PM. I am sure that SPGoletablock can chime in more! The "Ghost Line" used to be pretty darn busy! Toward the end, they were also running HOBAT (Houston-Bay Area Trailers), that always had  Cotton Belt power on the point, followed by CSX pool power. (1995-1997). Also, empty WCEUM (West Colton-Eugene Manifest empties)

Date: 10/09/19 05:11
Author: Roadjob

Love this shot! Gritty SP in beach like setting works. Never saw these trains, but they would have been fun to chase up and down the coast.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds