Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > Adirondack Railway 40 Years Ago Today

Date: 10/09/19 12:17
Adirondack Railway 40 Years Ago Today
Author: PCCRNSEngr

October 9, 1979 The Adirondack Railway operated the first through train from Utica, NY to Lake Placid for the NYS DOT. Powering the train was Adirondack RS3 29 with D&H RS3 4075 to provide steam heat. Bring up the rear was D&H Office Car 100. Even Amtrak got into the deal supplying a coach so yes Amtrak even made it to Lake Placid. Depaarted Utica in a cold rain and later in the day we ran into snow.

1. The Special backing into Utica Union Station after having to crossover from the Utica Yard onto Conrail Main Track 2.
2. ADCX Psgr Extra 29 Forestport, NY
3. Sabattis, NY

Date: 10/09/19 12:26
Re: Adirondack Railway 40 Years Ago Today

4. Psgr Extra 29 Tupper Lake, NY
5. Tupper Lake, NY
6. Lake Clear Jct., NY

Date: 10/09/19 12:36

7. Lake Clear Jct., NY
8. Saranac Lske, NY Watering the D&H 4075 Steam Generator 
9. October 10, 1979  Next morning switching the train for a deadhead mover from Lake Placid to Thendara, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/19 13:13 by PCCRNSEngr.

Date: 10/09/19 12:46

The train depasrted with four P70 coaches up front. While makeing the crossover move in Utica the steam line on the second coach got caught up in a frog on one of the switches. Not all of the steam connections had been made at the time. So between Utica and Thendara there was no steam until the first two coaches were set out.
Upon arrival in Lake Placid the group went over to the Lake Placid Club for a reception and dinner. After dinner majority of the group bused back either to Albany or Utica. Just a handfull of us rode the deadhead move back the next day. For those who stayed overnight received one of the best hotel rates I have ever had, Can,t remember the cost  but it was lke $20.00.
After arrival in Thendar we were out into a van for the remaining trip to Utica. I started the trip by driving to Ssyracuse taking Amtrak to Utica. Getting back in Utica it was train time for me to get my connecting Amtrak back to Syracuse. Had just enough time to drive right up to the platform for me to bail out and get on the Turbo.

10. Train made up ready to head south from Lake Placid, NY October 10, 1979
11. Lake Placid, NY
12. Ray Brook, NY

Date: 10/09/19 12:47

13. Tupper Lake, NY

Date: 10/09/19 12:59
Author: gcm

A great looking train especially with the Alcos.
Thanks for posting these.
Gary

Date: 10/09/19 15:59
Author: cozephyr

Great opportunity-appreciate your images from October 1979.  Glad the line continues to serve a portion of the line to Thendara, New York.

Date: 10/09/19 16:05
Author: refarkas

Thanks for sharing these treasures.
Bob

Date: 10/09/19 16:17
Author: krm152

Definitely historic photos.  Like each and every one.
Thanks for posting this great series.
ALLEN 

Date: 10/09/19 17:57
Author: Locoinsp

Thanks for posting these photos! I was on the D&H 4075 keeping the steam boiler running. It was an eventful trip to say the least! We had a baggage car in the train when we left Thendara for Utica but ended up setting it out in Remsen if memory serves me correctly. It had an air brake problem and ended up with slid flat wheels. Your photos are great and brought back a flood of memories!!

Date: 10/10/19 08:23
Author: aehouse

My family and I called to book tickets the very day the ADK suspended operations, for what turned out to be forever.  I couldn't believe it!

Art House

Date: 10/10/19 17:09
Author: train1275

Great shots !!
Not too many good photos surface of this train, "The Hennessey Special". William C. Hennessey was NYSDOT Commissioner at the time.

For the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't take any photos or even chase or check out this train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds