Author: photobob

The west end of Taylor Yard in 1960.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/10/19 07:53
Re: SP5787 at the west end of Taylor Yard 1960
Author: King_Coal

I've never noticed what I assume are safety slogans on the pilot below the walkway. Interesting photo showing 1st Gen power at its prime.

Date: 10/10/19 08:02
Author: spdaylight

There are so many cool details on this photo   . .  loved that paint scheme  . . . and the cool car with the sun visor on the left and the truck on the right at the crossing with the snub nosed hood.  And the pristine signal box . . another 'winnah' from the champion from Dunsmuir!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 10/10/19 08:15
Author: utwazoo

spdaylight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are so many cool details on this photo   .
> .  loved that paint scheme  . . . and the cool
> car with the sun visor on the left and the truck
> on the right at the crossing with the snub nosed
> hood.  And the pristine signal box . . another
> 'winnah' from the champion from Dunsmuir!
>
> Craig
> mcmrailvideos.com

Not to mention Van de Kamps bakery at the left edge of the image;  had many a Sunday dinner at their restaurant when I was a kid.  And before the grade separation project,  Fletcher Dr could get tied up with SP switching moves.  Same with Brand Blvd and Los Feliz Blvd a couple of miles railroad west of Fletcher Dr.  All had underpasses within a couple of years after Bob's photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 08:18 by utwazoo.

Date: 10/10/19 09:23
Author: Ritzville

Very cool shot, also like the many upper quadrant wig-wags in the shot. So SP back in the day.

Larry

Date: 10/10/19 09:58
Author: cewherry

The absence of any train identification in the number boards of these 4-axle units tell that they are likely headed up
the coast line toward Santa Barbara. First photo I've seen of Fletcher Drive before the grade separation. Thanks Bob.

Charlie

Date: 10/10/19 10:59
Author: PHall

cewherry Wrote:
> The absence of any train identification in the
> number boards of these 4-axle units tell that they
> are likely headed up
> the coast line toward Santa Barbara. First photo
> I've seen of Fletcher Drive before the grade
> separation. Thanks Bob.
>
> Charlie

Weren't you not supposed to place your train number in the number boards until you were coupled to your train?
Looks like the power is backing down towards their train.

Date: 10/10/19 12:47
Author: timz

Yeah, they won't leave those numberboards empty.

Date: 10/10/19 15:56

PHall Wrote:
> cewherry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The absence of any train identification in the
> > number boards of these 4-axle units tell that
> they
> > are likely headed up
> > the coast line toward Santa Barbara. First
> photo
> > I've seen of Fletcher Drive before the grade
> > separation. Thanks Bob.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> Weren't you not supposed to place your train
> number in the number boards until you were coupled
> to your train?
> Looks like the power is backing down towards their
> train.

Agreed, it does appear the engine is moving toward their train, but then again maybe not (read on).
As to not displaying train or engine numbers until they are coupled to the train; not so. 

The following was contained in SP's Rule 82-A  which of course, is history:

The enginemen aboard the 5787 must not display any number in their train indicators until they have received authority to do so and
that authority, for a regular train at its initial station, comes via a 'Clearance' which bears the OK, time and the
initials of the chief train dispatcher. The 'Clearance' would be addressed to a schedule shown in the employee timetable and in the
space called "Display" would be inserted the word 'NO' or 'GREEN"  "Signals for each regular train at initial station". The words on that
line would tell the crew what schedule on the timetable they were authorized to occupy the main track on, on that day. Extras would also need
a clearance if their originating station was an open train order office and, in addition, a 
train order, i.e. ENG 99 RUN EXTRA
                        LATHROP TO FRESNO
the number of which would be shown in the field of 'Orders' on the Clearance along with the requisite OK, time and initials of the chief train dispatcher.

In practice, the conductor would obtain the 'clearance', attach it to the train orders received, hand one copy
to the head brakeman who would deliver it to the engineer who may or may not have coupled the engines to the train by the time the brakeman
arrives at the train; (visualize a herder or switch tender involved with coupling the power to the train).

What you must not do is occupy the main track without such authority. You could wiggle around all day off the main track; just don't
foul the main....which is what the 5787 appears to be doing, (see the red target by the front steps?). I'll be kind and say that 5787 has just
arrived from the east, Los Angeles Yard is its terminating station and he is using that old standby, Rule 93 the Yard Limit rule, before 
heading down the inbound engine lead to tie-up after battling Beaumont hill. There always seems to be some way....

Today, the same concerns about authority would apply but I don't think I'd be wanting to even move on the engine track until I had all my 
Track Warrants and bulletins in hand. Different times.

Charlie 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 17:30 by cewherry.

Date: 10/10/19 17:39
Author: bbethmann

I remember that end of Taylor quite well. If memory serves, the track the engine is on was called “the slide”, meaning what, I don’t know although I think it has something to do with “sliding a train past something”. And those outrageous aromas from VandeKamps. Working graveyard or swing, nighttime seemed almost poetic between the smell of the bakery, diesel exhaust, creosote, smelly old Levi’s, et al,

Miss those days a bit.

BB is Spokane

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/10/19 18:53
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Looks to me from the location...this power might have been on a westbound that was yarded it's train in one of the Ayard tracks and the power was headed down the roundhouse lead to the roundhouse.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/10/19 20:03
Author: PHall

The only thing as good as driving past the Van de Camps bakery was driving past the Helms Bakery.
You could gain five pounds by just taking a deep breath.

Date: 10/12/19 09:20

After looking at this photo for the umteenth time and considering more of the visual clues, (of which there are many),
I believe SanJoaquinEngr's 'read' of the situation is more probable and the 5787 is likely headed to the roundhouse
after arriving from the east.
If Bob had only waited a few seconds more we could see which way the east unit was headed, either toward the train or to the 
extreme right, toward the roundhouse. But we forgive you, Bob. 

Charlie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds