Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > When coal trains rolled by Denver Union Station ...

Date: 10/10/19 11:29
When coal trains rolled by Denver Union Station ...
Author: valmont

Here's a Bruce Black shot from 8/1/76 showing a coal train on the' 'old route' through downtown Denver. Denver Union Station is out of view behind the train and the massive USPS building and the iconic Meadow Gold tower are visible. The DUS area change has been dramatic as shown by comparing current and previous aerials. I'll add the older era views

Pics 2 & 3 are also Bruce Black shots, both taken on 5/3/75 ... with pic 3 showing both the Meadow Gold tower and the USPS building.

Date: 10/10/19 12:07
Re: When coal trains rolled by Denver Union Station ...
Author: rrpreservation

The mainlines going south (and north)  ran right through D.U.S. so one could watch the train traffic travel  for the BN, Rio Grande and Santa Fe.

Sometime in the 1980s the BN built a by-pass for the line to the north using the old (C&S) Rice Yard access tracks. Since then all traffic by-passes D.U.S. and with the south bound tracks cut, it is now a terminal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 12:08 by rrpreservation.

Date: 10/10/19 13:21
Author: stevelv

Wow!  That third photo amazes me as I was just there last March.  A very different scene today

Date: 10/10/19 14:41
Author: SPDRGWfan

I haven't been though there since the changes but in photo's I've seen, it's really different than the view shown above, which are very nice wide views btw!

Date: 10/10/19 15:24
Author: cozephyr

Image 1-15 April 2016 with Denver RTD 4007 Silverliner commuter train in totally rebuilt tracks behind Denver Union Station/The Crawford Hotel, Denver, CO.

Image 2-18 December 2016 looking toward Denver Union Station and the Colorado Rockies-now not visible account all the new development.  Denver Union Station at right along Wynkoop Street.  Note the Platform luxury apartments next to the commuter railroad platforms.  FEATURES at Platform at Union Station-• Resident Lounge: An in-house escape where relaxation and conviviality abounds• Coffee Bar• Package Center, including optional In-Home Delivery• Covered Parking Garage • 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance• Next door to light rail, airport line and bus hub• Interior Dog Run & Pet Spa for your pets.

P.S.  Bruce worked for the US Post Office and did some time at the Post Office's Terminal Annex next to Denver Union Station until he transferred north to other post offices, i.e. Boulder, CO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 15:33 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/11/19 12:39
Author: Bob3985

Great photos of the DUT Station. And rare to see the tracks all empty.
And great current photos CZ.
I remember my early days on the UP Steam crew as we sat on display on 1 track for Denver's Transportation Week.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds