Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > Expanded Digital Image Archive at HPL

Date: 11/08/19 12:11
Expanded Digital Image Archive at HPL
Author: Hou74-76

I discovered recently that the Houston Public Library has expanded its digital image collection.  Many of the images are railroad related and the scan resolution is high.  That means you can zoom in greatly and see details not heretofore visible.  In light of the recent discussions and images about Houston's old depots, I have attached a few screen shots from Houston Public Library's archive.  Most of these shots and more were originally from the Houston Press and are now available to view.

Top photo shows the original SP nee H&TC Grand Central Depot on Washington Ave. well before 1933.

Mid photo shows the new Art Deco Grand Central Station under construction at the site cleared off in front of the old depot.

Lower photo shows the temporary construction canopy and walkway to the old depot during construction.

Date: 11/08/19 12:20
Re: Expanded Digital Image Archive at HPL

Top view shows the new Art Deco depot under construction facing Franklin Ave. probably around early 1934.

Mid view shows the depot date 9/15/1934 probably around the time of the grand opening.

Bottom view shows the depot coffee shop after the opening.

Date: 11/08/19 12:43
Author: gcm

Great find on these detailed shots !
All that work and it only lasted 25 years.
Gary

Date: 11/08/19 12:55

There are more images in the HPL collection than I showed.  There is even a video of a last run of Mop's Houston section of the Texas Eagle in 1968 and Union Station.  

Such a shame that the SP Grand Central was razed.  I do think it was flawed however, in around 1938 there was a great flood and it was inundated.  I suspect SP was looking for a way out even earlier than some may have conjectured.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2403 seconds