Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > One that almost got away.

Date: 11/09/19 04:30
One that almost got away.
Author: Roadjob

When traversing the spider web of railroads that Chicago was in 1970, it became a question of who did I miss in my frenzy to photograph everything on a first time visit. Of course I got B&O, but that was not a priority since they were my hometown railroad. I found  new friend in the Erie Lackawanna, and got to see at least fifteen other roads. I thought I had gotten all the major roads until I went to Joliet, to get more Santa Fe and Rock Island action. Well to my utter surprise I had forgotten one entity in town, who made two appearances at Joliet just to show me they were a player here as well. The shots you see here are the only two pictures I ever took of the Gulf Moblie and Ohio. There just was not time to cover them all back then, and too many of them exited the stage too quickly to ever consider extended trips. 

Got to see the very attractive red paint scheme, and photograph it in color. Not too exiting on the shot list, but it was the road that almost got away, so I can say I did my little part to preserve the railroad.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 11/09/19 04:53
Re: One that almost got away.
Author: rrartist

Very nice!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/09/19 05:01
Author: refarkas

Your Joliet photos bring back great memories of my visits there. Thanks for sharing them.
Bob

Date: 11/09/19 06:06
Author: Bob3985

I too spent many days and hours at Joliet UD and that area capturing the GM&O, ATSF and what was left of the Rock.
This GM&O paint scheme, IMHO, was awesome. I liked their B&W schemes on their GP30's and 35's too.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/09/19 06:36
Author: CNW8531

Those are beautiful, and among some of the best colors ever worn by a diesel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 06:38 by CNW8531.

Date: 11/09/19 16:03
Author: PasadenaSub

Agreed, a classic scheme that is well missed.  Great photos!

Rich

CNW8531 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are beautiful, and among some of the best
> colors ever worn by a diesel.

Date: 11/09/19 17:35
Author: LV95032

They only ran something like one regular scheduled road freight out of Chicago back then as I was told so you did well to get it.

RWJ

Date: 11/11/19 08:34
Author: Cumbres

I always loved that paint scheme.  You got a great set of pictures. thanks for sharing. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds