Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Nostalgia & History > Location help on this IC coal train please!

Date: 11/09/19 05:00
Location help on this IC coal train please!
Author: Pattenburg

If possible need some help in identifying where I took this photo back in June, 1989. I recall being near Metropolis, Illinois (yes, that is the home of Superman!) so it is somewhere in that area. Perhaps near the Paduach, KY also ? Any infomation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Date: 11/09/19 09:22
Re: Location help on this IC coal train please!
Author: coach

What type of tiny horn is that on the lead unit??!

Date: 11/09/19 09:26
Author: exprail

Somewhere on the Edgewood Cutoff?

exprail

Date: 11/09/19 13:10
Author: IC1038west

My first guess is you are on the country club road overpass north of Metropolis looking north towards South Sedgwick at an Orient-Grand Rivers Transfer train. But I can't place that overhead bridge. Very nice photo.

Date: 11/09/19 23:16
Author: Evan_Werkema

coach Wrote:

> What type of tiny horn is that on the lead unit??!

That's a Nathan P3, the type of horn also favored by Southern Pacific in later years.  The P3 used the same manifold as the five-chime P5 with two of the spaces blanked.  With five positions available and three horn bells to fill them, the arrangement could vary from horn to horn, especially after they were taken apart and reassembled in a railroad's shop.  The second unit (IC 2010) also has a P3, but it looks different because the outer bells are mounted on the lower positions rather than the higher ones as on 6066.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds