Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Freight Car Tues.. Amer. Colloid Co. 1969

Date: 11/19/19 12:07
Freight Car Tues.. Amer. Colloid Co. 1969
Author: the_expediter

Taken in Belle Fourche, SD... Belle is about an hour NW of Rapid City...Summer of 1969...Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/19 12:08 by the_expediter.

Date: 11/19/19 16:31
Re: Freight Car Tues.. Amer. Colloid Co. 1969
Author: Jeff

When photos of these and other interesting cars, trailers and whatnot are posted I would really appreciate it if someone familiar with the company operating the car could offer a few words about the company, what they usually ship in the car and where they are located.  The more one knows the more interesting it gets.  Thanks, Jeff

Date: 11/19/19 18:56
Author: upkpfan

American Colloid Co. had a small warehouse in Kanopolis, KS. I think at one time, it had a short RR line into the building. I'm not sure about this, but I think they got salt from the nearby salt mines and bagged it up and was shipped out and after the RR pulled out, it was shipped out by trucks. I think there was a Co also someplace in Ne. The Ne truckers went on strike and the Ks truckers didn't. The Ne truckers came down to Kanopolis and torched the inside of the tractors there. I was only about 18 years old when this happened, now 79. Lotta water under the bridge since then. upkpfan

Date: 11/20/19 07:54
Author: ntharalson

Jeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When photos of these and other interesting cars,
> trailers and whatnot are posted I would really
> appreciate it if someone familiar with the company
> operating the car could offer a few words about
> the company, what they usually ship in the car and
> where they are located.  The more one knows the
> more interesting it gets.  Thanks, Jeff

Well, in Belle Fourche, this car would be used to carry sacked bentonite which was mined in the Belle Fourche area.  I used to see these cars
regularly when I lived near there.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds