Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > Waybill on unusual military move

Date: 12/01/19 14:09
Waybill on unusual military move
Author: mns019

39 years ago I happened to save a copy of a waybill on an unusual 3 nation military move.  British Army euipment moving from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, to Canadian Forces Base Wainwright Alberta, routed IC-IHB-SOO-DWP-CN.

George

Date: 12/01/19 15:20
Re: Waybill on unusual military move
Author: MP107

What does "exercise trumpet dance" mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/19 15:21 by MP107.

Date: 12/01/19 15:38
Author: mkerner

MP107 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does "exercise trumpet dance" mean?
Probably the name of the war game exercise
Michael t Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 12/01/19 15:39
Author: PHall

MP107 Wrote:
> What does "exercise trumpet dance" mean?

That was the name of the exercise that the equipment had participated in at Fort Campbell.

Date: 12/01/19 16:16
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I was pushing paper as a yard clerk at that time also.  I always found waybills interesting reading.  Sometimes I'd fall behind on my work because I was so distracted reading them.  

It looks like it took about a week to get from Paducah, KY to Stevens Point, WI, roughly 600 miles. 

Transiting Chicago always has been, and probahly always will be, a mess.  

Aronco would probably be interested in seeing this waybill.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/19 17:25 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 12/01/19 18:03
Author: dcmkris

By no means take this as gospel but South of Ft. Wainwright is British Army Training Unit Suffield. The Birts & Canadians have agreements to do large scale training for the British Army, Marines & Air Force at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright. 

In 1979 the British Army decided it would be easier logistically & financially to base a contingent of equipment in North America for these yearly training exercises. During that time & from what I can gather thru the early 1990's when they moved Exercise Ttrumpet Dance to Washigton state. UK training at Ft Wainwright runs May thru October due to weather. Since 200 Challenger II tanks & 1000 plus other vehicles of the British Army are stored there from 1979 thru the move to WA State the UK Equipment was maintained at CFBW. But as soon as the last units left a majority of the equipment was loaded up and shipped to Kentucky where heavy maintence was done by British technicians in much better weather conditions.

The Brits are back to using Ft Wainwright to train 6 battle groups each year. The reason for the training in N. America is because these are the only places the British Armed forces can use every weapon without restrictions.

Would love to see one of these trains with full load out, the Brits used some pretty cool equipment back then.

Kris

Date: 12/01/19 20:55
Author: thehighwayman

Most of the time when you see Norm mention that his PV has been chartered to accompany a "high value" cargo in Canada, it is British military equipment heading back to an Atlantic port to return to Britain.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 12/01/19 22:14
Author: dcmkris

thehighwayman Wrote:
> Most of the time when you see Norm mention that
> his PV has been chartered to accompany a "high
> value" cargo in Canada, it is British military
> equipment heading back to an Atlantic port to
> return to Britain.
>
I forgot to mention that while the Brit's keep a large group of equipment in Canada. They still ship over a good amount of equipment for the training exercises.
You can see one of these movements of 1st (UK) Armoured Division 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade accompanied by "Tioga Pass" on her return to to port
leaving Canada after completing the final UK traing rotation @ CFB Wainwright for 2010. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-wJOxzzENQ&list=PLb9bCzwlr5Zqgsw2vGW1X4LKbRkboTsxj&index=51&t=1s=13pxTitle on Youtube:    ((SUPER RARE)) CP Military Unit Train at Finch!!!=13pxKris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds