Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Nostalgia & History > More Matched Set Monday - Santa Fe

Date: 01/13/20 08:41
More Matched Set Monday - Santa Fe
Author: GRNDMND

Tagging along with JB's earlier post, here is another three-of-a-kind image from the gone but never forgotten Santa Fe. 
Three GP60's bring the hot QNYLA through Cajon on a very warm July 4, 1990. The train may be "hot" but the crew should
be relatively cool with the cab a/c working, although it does appear that the cab side windows are open.
As always, thanks for looking back!

KC

Date: 01/13/20 09:03
Re: More Matched Set Monday - Santa Fe
Author: SP8595

Neat shot! I'm sure that it has been discussed in the past but what was the reason for painting the signal masts tan?

Date: 01/13/20 09:43
Author: GRNDMND

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat shot! I'm sure that it has been discussed in
> the past but what was the reason for painting the
> signal masts tan?

As I was told, to blend in with the scenery in the hopes that the locals wouldn't use them for target practice. I have no idea whether or not this 
was the case or not, but it sounds plausible. Maybe to get away from lead-based paint as well. Someone from inside may be able to shed
some addition color to the story.

KC

Date: 01/13/20 09:54
Author: exhaustED

Lovely light and colours.

Date: 01/13/20 11:07
Author: PHall

I too have heard from more then one source that the tan paint was to make them less of a target for the target shooters.

Date: 01/13/20 12:49
Author: PasadenaSub

Really nice photo, Kevin.  I believe the standard cab GP60s still remain as the only loco class on the BNSF to be entirely in Santa Fe blue & yellow paint, though now renumbered in the high 100-series numbers behind (and mixed with) the GP60M-3 fleet.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/20 13:46 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 01/13/20 22:12
Author: trackplanner

Nice shot Kevin. Lots of fans with guns up in Cajon back in the day, probably many non-fans were packing too. Rattlesnakes aren't your friend, lol! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/20 22:13 by trackplanner.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds