Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Nostalgia & History > American Freedom Train cars, North Vancouver BC 1977

Date: 01/14/20 17:54
American Freedom Train cars, North Vancouver BC 1977
Author: eminence_grise

The Government of Canada purchased the American Freedom Train to be operated as the "Discovery Train" which made one trans-Canada tour. The accomodation cars were not used with the Discovery Train so BC Rail acquired them. They are shown on the car repair tracks in BCR's North Vancouver BC yard in Novembner 1977. What was the origin of the heavyweight coaches? I know the observation car swa some service on the Royal Hudson tourist train on BCR.

Date: 01/14/20 18:55
Re: American Freedom Train cars, North Vancouver BC 1977
Author: krm152

Definitely interesting photos.
Thanks for posting.
ALLEN

Date: 01/14/20 19:17
Author: BoilingMan

The 4 “PreAmble” cars were ex-Reading. They were converted for private use for the Springfield train (whatever THAT was) and later became the AFT’s PreAmble Express. AFTX 202-205. They then carried the markers of the AFT itself.
The sleeper was SP’s 4-4-2 Golden River. Later the name was dropped and it became simply SP 9111.
On the AFT it was our AFTX 201 (I lived in room C during the last few months of the AFT tour in 1976)
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/20 19:20 by BoilingMan.

Date: 01/14/20 19:28
Author: dan

where did these cars end up, i like the PGE boxcar!

Date: 01/14/20 20:40
Author: BoilingMan

I think the SP sleeper is in Prince George and most, if not all, of the PreAmbles ended up on the Mt Rainer. These, and the exit/generator car are the only AFT cars that still exist today, along with the locomotive crew car (which, technically, was not owned but the AFT)
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds