Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Nostalgia & History > More Conrail Blue along the Lehigh Line

Date: 01/14/20 15:18
More Conrail Blue along the Lehigh Line
Author: perklocal

Seeing all the great Conrail shots that have been posted recently by Pattenburg, thebluecomet and overniteman made me want to dig through some of my earlier shots of Big Blue on the Lehigh Line around the Allentown area. First shot is BUAL-4 (Buffalo-Allentown) taken from the Hamilton St. bridge in Allentown,PA.on 8/25/79.  Next up is TV-4M (East St.Louis,IL.-Kearney,NJ.) with an ex-EL GP35 and GP10 passing what is left of the ex- Lehigh Valley's yard at Richards,PA. on 1/11/81. Bottom shot of ALCG (Allentown,PA.-Corning,NY.) coming under the Tilghman St.bridge in Allentown,PA. on 6/29/83.

Date: 01/14/20 15:32
Re: More Conrail Blue along the Lehigh Line
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of photos.  GE's U33/U36B model seems to be under-represented in photography here, other than those dashing Seaboard Coast Line units.
Wonder how long the 2 units in your pics kept running after 1983?

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/20 15:33 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 01/14/20 15:33

Top shot is of another ALCG with an ex-NYC GP35 on the point passing "WK" on the ex-CNJ in Allentown on 7/6/83. Next is yet another ALCG this time with an EX-CNJ SD35 leading passing  ex-CNJ "HX" Tower at Palmerton,PA. on 7/22/83. At the time ALCG was scheduled to leave Allentown in the late afternoon and was a great chase up along the Lehigh River. Bottom shot of 5 ex-LV "Pups" on the WJAL-20 (Hazleton Man) waiting for a recrew at Lehighton,PA. on 8/6/83.

Date: 01/14/20 15:39
Author: Pattenburg

really like your photo taken at Palmerton!

Date: 01/14/20 15:42
Author: stevelv

Nice six pack and great power on that intermodal train.  I never thought I'd miss Conrail U33B's but now I do after looking at your nice photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/20 15:43 by stevelv.

Date: 01/14/20 15:51

Top shot of TV-4M crossing the Lehigh River on the ex-LV bridge coming into Phillipsburg,NJ. on 1/26/84. Middle shot of OIPI (Oak Island,NJ.-Conway,PA.) on the ex-LV in Phillipsburg,NJ. on 1/26/84. Last shot of another TV-4M that has just come off the ex-RDG and made the connection "down the hole" and onto the ex-LV at old East Penn Yard in Allentown,PA. If you are new to the Allentown area it may take some time to figure out the connections between all the pre-Conrail railroads that came together and made the Lehigh Valley Area a crazy maze of trackage.

Date: 01/14/20 16:16
Author: overniteman

Great set of CR!

Date: 01/14/20 16:18
Author: 3rdswitch

Bunch of awesome CR's!
JB

Date: 01/14/20 19:23
Author: EL833

perklocal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bottom shot of 5 ex-LV "Pups" on the WJAL-20
> (Hazleton Man) waiting for a recrew at
> Lehighton,PA. on 8/6/83.

All sweet photos Rod, but I'm partial to the pups...and all blue at that.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 01/15/20 03:17
Author: Roadjob

My vote is for the shot of the TV coming into Phillipsburg. Nice angle for sure. Never got one from that perspective. I was also partial to the U33bs. Always liked there husky look. Nice post my friend!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 01/15/20 06:57
Author: SP8595

Fantastic series!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds