Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN's Lawrence Welk Train

Date: 01/19/20 16:43
BN's Lawrence Welk Train
Author: Quakerengr

Here we are January 1979. We will chase BN's train 123  west from Northtown yard, Minneapolis, Mn.  At the time I was laid off  from track department. Headed north to meet up with good friend Steve  to follow BN's F's.  They ran these units in a circle.  Northtown to Grand Forks, ND.  Then GFD to Superior, WI  then Superior back to Northtown.

In two years I would be a fireman with engineer Jazzie, who hired out in 1969 on the CB&Q.  When we rolled into the Northtown complex, we called the "Zoo", and train 123 was on the radio,  he referred to it as the Lawrence Welk train,  Ah one, Ah two, Ah three, as Lawrence was waving his baton in front of his legendary band.

Image 1 before we head out for train 123,  here we have train 126  in from Superior, Wi  parked at "Interstate"  west entrance to Northtown yard.

Image 2  train 123   rolling west past the Northern Pacific depot in Anoka, Mn.

Image 3  train 123   now rolling past the depot at Elk River, Mn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/20 16:48 by Quakerengr.

Date: 01/19/20 16:47
Re: BN's Lawrence Welk Train
Author: Quakerengr

Image 4  along  the way , US Highway 10 parallels the former NP line almost all way through Western Minnesota.

Image 5  Operator at St Cloud, Mn  tower hooping up orders to the fireman.

Image 6  Rear end crew grabbing orders  on the fly...

Have a great week,

PWM

Date: 01/20/20 06:39
Author: SR2

Great historic photos!  Thanks for sharing those treasures.
SR2

Date: 01/20/20 06:59
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 01/20/20 08:04
Author: UP951West

These are most interesting  slides. Thanks for posting. -Kelly

Date: 01/20/20 11:13
Author: ATSF3751

"Start the bubble machine".....and now the Lennon Sisters will perform with Myron Floren....
Please, I still have nighmares about being forced to watch each Saturday night while eating frozen dinners on metal TY trays. Oh the humanity!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds