Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Can't wait for Depot Friday!

Date: 01/25/20 09:54
Can't wait for Depot Friday!
Author: santafe199

I never got the chance to meet Logan, Utah railfan Mr Emil Albrecht. From all that his long time friend Jim Watson tells me I feel like I really missed out! Before Emil passed away he entrusted Jim with the bulk of his slide collection plus a chunk of his color negatives, all of which Jim has me scan from time to time. He covered quite a bit of the PNW from his Logan home base. And as I scan through Emil’s work I feel like I’m getting to know the man. Although he tended to compose some of his shots with very tight cropping, I admire that he was apparently fearless in shooting any RR subject. I’ve taken the same attitude for over 40 years. And Jim tells me Emil would have really enjoyed seeing his work posted on TO for everyone to enjoy.

Here’s a shot of Emil’s from a recent scanning session. I had it originally ear-marked for Depot Friday. But the more I more worked the shot in Photoshop the more I caved in to a “post it now” instinct. For those of you who know the Downey area, I took the liberty of erasing a particularly obnoxious wire running across the top third of the image. I doubt Emil would mind…

1. UP depot + storm-brewing sky at Downey, ID on April 13, 1969. Dramatic sky courtesy of Mother Nature.
(Original Kodachrome slide by the late Emil Albrecht, from the James W. Watson collection)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/22 01:33 by santafe199.

Date: 01/25/20 09:56
Re: Can't wait for Depot Friday!
Author: TonyJ

I love it. Captures the mood.

Date: 01/25/20 10:13
Author: texchief1

That is a wonderful shot, Lance!  Thanks for posting.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 01/25/20 11:25
Author: refarkas

An "A+" historical image.
Bob

Date: 01/25/20 11:28
Author: UP951West

Dramatic slide. What interesting  structures were still there in 1969. Thanks, Jim and lance for posting this one. --Kelly

Date: 01/25/20 13:01
Author: gcm

Excellent small town depot shot with the added bonus of the water tower.
Thanks Lance for working on this one.
Gary

Date: 01/25/20 13:12
Author: santafe199

gcm Wrote: > ... added bonus of the water tower ...

Yeah, we really need a headlight & a big plume of smoke way back there coming at us. Barring that, I'd settle for a headlight & a yellow E-unit nose... :^)

Lance

Date: 01/25/20 15:06
Author: tomstp

Storm light!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds