Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > MP Dispatcher's Report; KC April 24, 1974

Date: 01/25/20 20:22
MP Dispatcher's Report; KC April 24, 1974
Author: mamfahr

Hello all,

Here's the first of the requested dispatcher's reports for the MP in the 1970s / early '80s.  This one summarizes each train that operated on their Western District that day, showing train symbol, power, times, car counts, delays, etc.  The report has a total of 5 pages.

Looks like the symbols operating to/from Pueblo at the time were:

FFT, PSC, CSP, SKP, PS, KP and PK

A couple of those (FFT and one eastward train) did not operate consistently; the Ford contract alternated with UP with each handling the traffic 1/2 of the year on a 90-day rotation.  

Two more reports to follow.

I need to give credit to Joel Boucher of Council Bluffs for these.  He was an avid collector of operations-related RR documents and shared these and many other docs with me and other operations buffs.

Take care,

Mark

Date: 01/25/20 20:24
Re: MP Dispatcher's Report; KC April 24, 1974

The rest of the report, pages 4 and 5.

Date: 01/25/20 20:34
Author: jgilmore

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! JG

Date: 01/26/20 05:20
Author: Englewood

Note how even in the Amtrak era which trains were at the top of the report.

Date: 01/26/20 07:07
Author: texchief1

Very interesting.  Thank you for posting.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 01/26/20 09:04
Author: prrmpup

Excellent info.
Note the SKZ, MoPac's entry into the short haul TOFC sprint train market in vogue at the time,
Don't remember how long it lasted.

Date: 01/26/20 09:14

prrmpup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent info.

Glad these reports are of interest.  I'll post the other two examples on a different thread to keep the size & length managable.

A few follow-up comments:  
- the CNW trains ran via MP Leavenworth to KC and they're listed on the report just below the psgrs.  If you look back in the TO archive there were photos posted of CNW trains coming around the sharp curve at L-worth onto the MP.
- looks like there's a typo in the CNW section of the report; the last train listed should be "143" instead of "413".  
- CNW trains 141-144 operated between Proviso (Chicago) and KC via Marshalltown / Ames Jct and Bell Ave (Des Moines).  CNW 161 & 164 operated between KC and the Twin Cities via the x-CGW (Bell Ave, M-town, Oelwein).
- I see a Pueblo train that I didn't mention before, symbol "S-23" right under the CNW trains.  Does anyone know what that train was?

Take care,

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/20 09:17 by mamfahr.

Date: 01/26/20 09:21
Author: KCRW287

Neat item, shows the CNW trains, still running a lot of F units. Also shows the locals between KC & Omaha, I really never have seen the ID numbers, just refered to as "Joe Ball", Walcott Turn, etc. MOP power in the single and double digits, I figure are U30C power and I saw one rebuilt Alco 1079, a GP12 on the MOP. Joel always had great rr stories, when he hired on the MOP in 1950 the oldest clerk had hired on in 1905, Joel retired in 2010, and saw 105 years of senoirity come and go. KCRW287 Jim Will

Date: 01/26/20 15:52
Author: NYC303

mamfahr Wrote
> - I see a Pueblo train that I didn't mention
> before, symbol "S-23" right under the CNW
> trains.  Does anyone know what that train was?
>
> Take care,
>
> Mark

S-23 maybe a typo of PS-23?

thanks for posting, I find all these interesting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0804 seconds