Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Border Jumper"

Date: 02/04/20 16:27
"Border Jumper"
Author: aussiehinz

CSX westbound Train R327 works its way through Delray Interlocking in southwest Detroit MI on a November, 1991 afternoon. The merchandise train has just arrived from Canada, after originating in Buffalo NY and crossing the international border twice on its journey across southern Ontario enroute to the Motor City. After a re-shuffling at Detroit's Rougemere Yard, directly ahead, it will continue on to Grand Rapids and Chicago. I began my railroad career as an operator for Chesapeake & Ohio here at Delray Tower, a bit over twenty years prior to this photograph, in June, 1971.

Cheers,
aussiehinz

Date: 02/04/20 17:13
Re: "Border Jumper"
Author: refarkas

A first-rate well-composed image.
Bob

Date: 02/04/20 17:35
Author: millerdc

Does CSX still run Buffalo - Detroit via Canada?

Date: 02/04/20 18:26
Author: IC_2024

Never knew you were an operator and started at Delray, Mark— that is awesome! Great post, sir 👍!

Date: 02/04/20 19:13
Author: halfmoonharold

I got to ride through the plant once while training as a dispatcher. I was turning back to Ft Wayne on the NS 8905, which had been the leader on the 227 inbound I rode the night before. Since it was facing east and would be our only unit, the crew took it to Delray to turn on the Forman Wye. So I got some rare mileage. That was in '99.

Date: 02/04/20 19:17
Author: SouthBuffalo1

Not since the CASO (Canada Southern ) was abandoned. Chessie and C&O used to run between Buffalo and Detroit through southern Ontario. Would run through a great railroad town called St. Thomas in Ontario. Probably abandoned in early 90's.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/05/20 05:32
Author: BlackWidow

Will this route take them by the old Michigan Central Station that is being renovated now?

Date: 02/06/20 06:11
Author: aussiehinz

Yes, it already did. The train is coming off Conrail, having made a run from Windsor ON, through the Detroit River Tunnel, past MC Station at 15th Street, around the connection to the Detroit-Toledo line in the southeast quadrant at West Detroit, and south toward Delray.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds