Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > A few railroad shops...

Date: 02/13/20 09:43
A few railroad shops...
Author: ghemr

1. BRC's Locomotive Shop. Built in 1914 and still in use today to maintain about 30 BRC locomotives. Bedford Park, IL 12-24-91

2. Same location at a different angle. Unfortunately the GT stuff got in my way!  August 1985

3. EJ&E Car Shop. Built in 1912 and I vaguely recall it was used (or was going to be used?) to repair passenger cars. Today the land is occupied by a small CN intermodal ramp.  Joliet, IL 9-19-93

Date: 02/13/20 09:55
Re: A few railroad shops...
Author: WrongMain

Neat shots, amazing how Bedford Park still looks the same from about forty years ago.  Great place to see, but you had to be quick, one of those get in - get out places.

Date: 02/13/20 11:49
Author: refarkas

Photo three has a feeling of despair about it. How sad the building seems.
Bob

Date: 02/13/20 12:29
Author: santafe199

refarkas Wrote: > ...  Photo three has a feeling of despair ...

I was thinking the exact same thing! I'll bet that building could tell a gazillion stories about all the people who once earned a living within...

Lance/199

Date: 02/13/20 13:43
Author: Bob3985

I remember the center cabs and other EJ&E locos coming out of that shop to switch cars and run transfer runs to Gary and Elgin.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/13/20 23:26
Author: GPutz

I knew a young guy who worked there in the summer about 1970.  He said they were building a prototype for a series of 60' boxcars.  The president came down to look at the finished prototype and said it looked a little short.  Upon measurement it was 50' long.

Gerry
================================
ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
3. EJ&E Car Shop. Built in 1912 and I vaguely recall it was used (or was going to be used?) to repair passenger cars. Today the land is occupied by a small CN intermodal ramp.  Joliet, IL 9-19-93

Date: 02/14/20 00:46
Author: mp51w

That EJ&E building is sharp!  I bet the natural light in there was awesome!

Date: 02/14/20 07:27
Author: ntharalson

That "GT stuff" in the second photo is also interesting.  It appears these are ex-PLE geeps the GT picked up.  I have never seen shots of them
still in PLE black with GT lettering.  So in spite of "ruining" that shot of the shop building, this was a great catch!  Thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds