Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forty Plus Years Ago (71) - PC

Date: 02/27/20 03:14
Forty Plus Years Ago (71) - PC
Author: refarkas

In 1969 the New Haven became a part of Penn Central, so in reality, this is a Penn Central RDC.
An unknown photographer caught PC (NH) 38 in Boston, Massachusetts on June 16, 1970.
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/20 07:55 by refarkas.

Date: 02/27/20 03:46
Re: Forty Plus Years Ago (71) - PC
Author: ClubCar

A nice photo; however, look at all the exhaust dirt on that unit which would indicate that it most likely was pulled by a regular locomotive spitting out a lot of carbon and soot in the smoke.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/27/20 06:09
Author: refarkas

I never thought of this RDC being pulled by a locomotive although I have seen photos of that being done at other times. Thanks for that information.
Bob

Date: 02/27/20 06:45
Author: ghemr

Very unique car....thanks!

Date: 02/27/20 07:19
Author: rbenko

Cool shot - thanks for sharing.

A bit of a correction to your original caption - the New Haven was not "forced" into Penn Central - the NH was forced on the Penn Central by the ICC.  Already in bankruptcy (1961), they were big time hurting in the 60's with their massive money-losing commuter and intercity passenger operations, with the de-industrialization of New England and the new interstates decimating their freight revenue.  Their interchange with the PRR via the Bay Ridge, Brooklyn/Greenville, NJ car ferries was now made redundant with the PC merger.  There was no way they could survive as an independent road surrounded by the new PC giant.  

Date: 02/27/20 11:49
Author: bluesboyst

That area in South Boston was a cool place to visit back then.   I remember seeing all kinds of cool stuff in the yards back then.  Of course in 1972 all changed as the MBTA took ownership of much of the yard and made a maintenence base  for the Red Line.

Date: 02/27/20 15:49
Author: krm152

Photo taken five days before PC filed for bankruptcy.  The pre-bankruptcy period was much shorter than the post bankruptcy.
The RDC appeared to be in reasonably good condition. 
Thanks for the Interesting PC posting.
ALLEN

Date: 02/28/20 16:58
Author: march_hare

I don’t remember locomotive hauled RDCs being common in Boston until after the 1978 snowstorm fiasco. Common as dirt after that, right up until they were retired. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds