Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Nostalgia & History > Killing Time Reviewing Old Slides Part 2

Date: 03/25/20 08:34
Killing Time Reviewing Old Slides Part 2
Author: andersonb109

With a lack of scanned photos prior to 2007, I'm afraid this will be a narrative only post. The last slide tray I viewed during the lock down was the years 1982 to 1984 and included "the great hockey trip."  I had already been "collecting" NHL arenas, trying to see the Red Wings in as many as possible. And as much as possible by train. Prior to 1984 I had attended games in Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Buffalo, Kansas City, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Washington, New York, Minnesota, and Denver. All but one, Madison Square Garden are now gone. But there was a big gap in coverage. Canada west of Toronto. Without an on line NHL schedule, and hours of looking at home dates for Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver produced the following trip. Remember that in 1984 there were two daily transcontinental trains. So only one overnight in most cities was required. Something that could never be repeated today. 

Game 1: March 12, Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto. Maple Leafs vs.Winnipeg Jets.  That same evening I boarded the Canadian for Winnipeg. Accommodation was in ex. CN sleeper "Extew."

Game 2: March 14, Winnipeg Arena, Jets vs. Chicago Black Hawks. I recall sitting next to Denis Savard at the hotel across from the arnea. The nice people I sat next at the game to offered me a ride back to the hotel as the mall  between the arena and hotel was closed making for a very long and cold walk.  The next day found me back on the Canadian in route to Calgary. Accomodation in sleeper "Enterence." 

Game 3: March 16, Olympic Saddledome, Flames vs. Black Hawks.  March 17 found me on the Dayliner to South Edmonton.Taht was the only new train milege on the trip.

Game 4: March 17, Northlands Coliseum, Oilers vs. Los Angeles Kings. It was  thrill to see the great Wayne Gretsky perform in his home arena (but not as great as Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe).  With the next game in Vancouver three days away, time was killed taking the Canadian from Calgary out to Field and return. Back then with daily service and decent time keeping that was very possible. I bought a return coach ticket but the Conductor was kind enough to let me sit in the Park Car for entire trip (same crew worked back to Calgary as I recall). Then it was the Canadian again on March 19 from Calgary to Vancouver. Accommodation in sleeper "Erickson." 

Game 5: March 20,  Pacific Coliseum, Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings (finally). Final score Det. 6 Van. 3.  For this game, I was joined by my good friends Mike and Peggy who drove up from Seattle. (I look forward to attending a game with them in Seattle in 2022 when they get their new NHL team).  Now the trip would be interrupted by other transportation. Riding with Mike and Peggy to Settle by car, then a Western Airlines flight to San Francisco. There I joined another re-located friend from back home to take the scenic drive down Highway 1 to Los Angeles. On the way we had a private tour of Hearst Castle, courtesy of the Hearst Corporation with whom I was doing business at the time.

Game 6: March 24, The Forum, Kings vs. Red Wings. Sadly final score LA 9 Det. 7. The trip home was via the Desert Wind to Chicago and Twilight Limited to Dearborn, MI. The fact that the NHL schedule and train connections made this even at all possible was amazing. And today could never be repeated. The entier thing was done 36 years ago this week in just 11 days with only the one flight. Total train miles: 6,103 with 6 train overnights. Seems like just yesterday which gives hope that the time will pass quickly during stay at home orders from above. 

Date: 03/25/20 08:43
Re: Killing Time Reviewing Old Slides Part 2
Author: santafe199

What a spectcular shot from the dome! A setting sun still high enough to shine up the top of the train. And a high green shining in the distance. A+ all the way around...

Lance/199

Date: 03/25/20 11:07
Author: bobdavis

That high cloudiness probably dimmed the sun just enough to make that incredible shot possible.  Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Date: 03/25/20 11:20
Author: alally8444

My ultimate favorite seat on any train. There has never been, or ever will be, a better place to travel than in a dome.

Date: 03/25/20 11:54
Author: Lackawanna484

So many things to like about that scan, thanks for sharing it

Date: 03/25/20 12:41
Author: jcaestecker

alally8444 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My ultimate favorite seat on any train. There has
> never been, or ever will be, a better place to
> travel than in a dome.

Truer words have never been spoken.  :-)

-John

Date: 03/25/20 17:13
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2467 seconds