Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF WB at Arcadia with an ExAmtrak Leader

Date: 03/25/20 11:28
ATSF WB at Arcadia with an ExAmtrak Leader
Author: spider1319

From the siding at Arcadia circa 1990 a westbound Santa Fe intermodal train whizzes by the Pasadena Local from where the image was recorded.All gone now replaced by the Metro Gold Line  light rail Bill Webb 

Date: 03/25/20 11:42
Re: ATSF WB at Arcadia with an ExAmtrak Leader
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

Nice look back. Love station signs.

Adam

Date: 03/25/20 11:54
Author: mundo

Light Rail Now !!

Date: 03/25/20 12:08
Author: santafe199

Very cool shot! And I've got a pretty fair idea what you're standing. Did that a-time-er-2 myself back in my SFe days... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 03/25/20 12:19
Author: PHall

Mr-Beechcroft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice look back. Love station signs.
>
> Adam

Santa Fe standard station sign. Put up after the depot was moved to the LA County Fairplex in Pomona.

Date: 03/25/20 13:08
Author: 3rdswitch

What a great catch on an awesome old line to run on. Not far from the original In n Out.
JB

Date: 03/25/20 13:21
Author: GN599

I see a rare catch for 1990. 2 vintage Mopars! Anyone else see them? Neat Santa Fe scene!

Date: 03/25/20 14:29
Author: RodneyZona

This is at Santa Clara Avenue and First Aveue, Arcadia, looking southeast. Nice vintage shot!! Long gone now replaced by MTA Gold Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/20 14:40 by RodneyZona.

Date: 03/25/20 15:29
Author: tracktime

Excellent photo! That looks to be exactly where the current Metro Gold Line station is for Arcadia today.  Could be worse, I suppose,  but my clear preference is for the good ole ATSF here.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 03/25/20 15:37
Author: ExSPCondr

A red '71 Challenger and a white '62 Chrysler 300?
G

Date: 03/25/20 23:20
Author: Evan_Werkema

The year would have been 1985.  The front step arrangement on 5252 is the first one the San Bernardino Shops tried when they converted Santa Fe's 18 newly-acquired SDP40F's from Amtrak passenger haulers to freight power early that year.  The "steps" to the front walkway and nose door were basically a straight-up ladder, and by late 1985, the railroad had decided they were too dangerous to use.  The shops took the units back in, plated over the steps, and wrapped the front handrails around so it was no longer possible for crews to board the units at the front corners.  The 5252 had received the treatment by the time of this January 1986 photo:

http://archive.trainpix.com/ATSF/EMDORIG/SDF40-2/5252.HTM

Santa Fe made a second attempt to install usable front steps on these units beginning in 1988, resulting in the infamous nose notches that provided room for deeper front stepwells:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2598662

I'll go a step further and guess that Mr. Webb's photo was taken fairly early in 1985.  As I recall, one of Santa Fe's washracks was down during parts of 1985-86, and power that wasn't fresh from the shops tended to be filthier than usual for Santa Fe.  This is the shape 5252 was in by September 1985:

Date: 03/26/20 13:14
Author: spider1319

Thanks for the correction.I guess I could locate the original slide and look at the stamp.But,with my disorganized filing system I like Evans date better.Bill Webbb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0829 seconds