Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > FP&E gone but not forgotten

Date: 03/26/20 16:04
FP&E gone but not forgotten
Author: roadrunner

The Fairport Painesville & Eastern was a short line located in northeastern Ohio. When I first started taken pictures in 1976 much of their line was gone. In 1984 Norfolk Southern took over the operation from Perry Ohio to Fairport Harbor Ohio. NS today does run 2-3 days a week to service the industries.

FP&E 103 at the yard in Fairport Harbor. March 1979
FP&E 101 with loads headed to the Perry Nuclear Plant   May 1980
FP&E 107 through Painsville Township about to cross Bowhall Rd.  June 1980

I sure do miss the sounds of those Alcos!
Nick

Date: 03/26/20 19:31
Re: FP&E gone but not forgotten
Author: krm152

Very interesting photos.  Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 03/26/20 20:49
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. So what's in the gondolas? 

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 03/27/20 05:19
Author: roadrunner

I remember the nuclear power plant was under construction. I was more interested in photographing the engines. Needless to say I have no clue what was in the loaded gondolas. I guess it may be obvious that I also do not have pictures of the power plant under construction.
I thought I don't  have time to take a picture today, I'll come back another time or this stuff will be around forever. How wrong I was!

Nick

Date: 03/27/20 06:50
Author: cr7998

Thanks for the neat shots.  I never got to see the FP&E in person, did not get there until after it was absorbed into NS.  The FP&E was once a very busy shortline, serving numerous industrial accounts.  The largest was the Diamond Alkali (later Diamond Chemicals) plant at Painesville.  Those of us who were around in the 1970s recall the white and gray Diamond Chemical tankcars with the distinctive red diamond herald.  Also among FP&E customers was a large Industrial Rayon Co plant, and Uniroyal Chemicals.  In 1968, the N&W and Penn Central bought the FP&E, and each had a 50% interest.  The FP&E connected with both of those carriers, and also with the B&O's Lake Subdivision at Fairport Harbor, right next to Painesville.  FP&E had seven Alco switchers.  The FP&E lost its largest customer in 1976 when the Diamond Chemical plant was closed down by its parent company, Diamond Shamrock Corp.  The FP&E took another hit in 1980 when the Industrial Rayon plant closed.  The Norfolk Southern eventually acquired full control of the FP&E, and absorbed its remaining operations in 1984.  The Uniroyal plant closed in 1999.  NS still operates most of the old FP&E to serve a few remaining customers, with a crew out of Conneaut, OH.  Not sure of the current service level, last I knew it was three days a week.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds