Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Fs & an E climb Cajon

Date: 04/08/20 12:23
Fs & an E climb Cajon
Author: Copy19

Yesterday I was going back and forth from basement in our house to our office upstairs when my wife Pat finally called out from the kitchen.  "What are you doing?"   I told her I was sorting through my pictures.  "Hmm," she muttered, and went back to the crossword puzzle on her i-Pad.  My thoughts returned to Cajon Pass.  In the spirit of digging up old photos to show again these days I was looking for a specific set of Cajon Pass pictures I took back in about 1966 or 67.  

The first one is a Santa Fe passenger train eastbound up the pass just above Cajon station headed for Sullivan's Curve.  I don't know what train it was.  Maybe the Chief  or the Grand Canyon.  You can see it had a lot of head-end equipment, including a boxcar.  The second shot is another eastbound just rounding the iconic curve going into Summit.  I don't know the name of this train either, but hopefully some of you Santa Fe fans can offer suggestions.

The third train, also eastbound, is at Summit station.  That's the City of Las Vegas with a single E unit and a short train of the conventional equipment that replaced the GM Aerotrain in 1957.  According the Don Strack's "Utah Rails" website, this train made its last run ink August 1967, so I caught it just in the time.  I never saw it again, although I shot of a lot pix of the Aerotrain in Vegas .

BTW I never saw another railfan in the pass, but I sure saw a lot of trains!

​John  Bromley - Omaha

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 13:05 by Copy19.

Date: 04/08/20 12:33
Re: Fs & an E climb Cajon
Author: JimBaker

The first picture looks like the Grand Canyon with a lot of Head End equipmemnt.
I am not sure of the schedule through the pass, though.
The Chief was a Mid-Day train, though.
The Super Chief and El Capitan were evening trains.through the pass.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 04/08/20 15:02
Re: Fs & an E climb Cajon
Author: NYC303

Grand Canyon was an evening EB then, so looks right for the first one. Likewise the Chief at midday for the second one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds