Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > WP 917

Date: 04/08/20 16:51
WP 917
Author: Bob3985

A recent discussion mentioned the 4 WP F units still around.
I mentioned I was going to work in North Platte one day and while walking by the diesel shop I noticed this inside and pulled my camera out of my grip to take this photo.
North Platte received two F units and restored them cosmetically, not sure if operable, and painted them in the handsome WP passenger colors. 
Then they shipped the two back to Portola.
Kudos to all

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/08/20 17:22
Re: WP 917
Author: refarkas

Rare catch! Thanks for posting this.
Bob

Date: 04/08/20 17:44

Thanks Bob. If I ever find my photo of one of the two sitting outside I will post it too.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/08/20 23:16
Author: Pullman

The 917 went to the Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Junction via the former WP to Haggin yard, over the former SP to Cannon, abd then down the former SN to Dozier, where it was moved to the Museum, dead in consist.

It was not operable when it arrived. The painters at North Platte had been quite liberal with application of sea foam green in the engine room, covering a number of items including generator brushes. They also put plastic sheeting between the intakes for the air pump, which they did not remove afterwards.

Most amusing was the bird's nest and dead bird that came out of the exhaust stack while it was being started in the Shop at the Museum.

Photo of the 917 and the WP 94 by Bill Young, prior to dedication/donation ceremonies in memory of deceased Board Chairman, Harre Demorro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 23:17 by Pullman.

Date: 04/09/20 05:13
Author: Arved

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> North Platte received two F units and restored
> them cosmetically, not sure if operable, and
> painted them in the handsome WP passenger
> colors. 

I'm certainly no WP historian, but isn't that the freight scheme? An earlier paint scheme, but 913 kept it to the end. I was under the impression that the passenger scheme had a more flamboyant nose art (see attached - not my photo)

Please note, I'm not trying to be critical. As I said, I'm not a WP historian, but always willing to learn. I have enough trouble with SP history to last a lifetime.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 04/09/20 15:25

I was under the assumption this was their passenger as I have seen many F's in there plain green that I thought were the freight F's.
I have seen great photos of this scheme pulling the California Zephyr in the Feather River Canyon.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/10/20 00:28
Author: danf

Technically it was the "913" sceme. It was modeled after 913, the way it was painted in 1978. It was sort of a combination of freight and passenger colors. UP painted 921 nad 917 to match 913 before donating them.

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm certainly no WP historian, but isn't that the
> freight scheme? An earlier paint scheme, but 913
> kept it to the end. I was under the impression
> that the passenger scheme had a more flamboyant
> nose art (see attached - not my photo)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds