Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Midweek Menu - Leftovers

Date: 04/09/20 08:20
Midweek Menu - Leftovers
Author: njmidland

A year or so ago I was putting out a "Midweek Menu" - each time focusing on a specific railroad.  I think I did about 15 to 20 of them, but eventually I ran out of railroads or I just wasn't able to find menus from certain railroads (Maine Central, Central of Georgia, etc.).

However I have many menus that I didn't get to use or that I have picked up since then, so I thought I would offer up an assortment of these "leftovers":

Photos 1-3: Louisville & Nashville menus from January, 1941.

Date: 04/09/20 08:24
Re: Midweek Menu - Leftovers

The Bangor & Aroostook's dining car service has been elusive to me.  Serving such a remote area I have not been able to find a lot of material.  I did win this 1958 menu from ebay.  By then they were nearing the end of service so the menu was probably much reduced, but still able to provide a real meal.

Date: 04/09/20 08:28

Another obscure dining car service would be the Yosemite Valley.  While again the food offerings are modest, I'm sure the scenery made up for it!

Photo 7: An early breakfast menu
Photo 8: Breakfast menu from 1942
Photo 9: meal check

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 08:32 by njmidland.

Date: 04/09/20 08:35
Author: Rmosele

Reading these old menus, I can imagine people sitting at white table-clothed tables reading the menu, deciding what they wanted, all the while looking out the window at the scenery flying by. I discovered what became my favorite breakfast, shirred eggs, from a DR&W menu from 1907, I think, that someone posted on here last year. Was that you?

Date: 04/09/20 08:36
Author: Hou74-76

Hostesses not waiters on the Bangor & Aroostook's dining car, interesting!

Date: 04/09/20 08:42

And to finish up for now, here are some single page menus:

Picture 10: Illinois Central "City of New Orleans" dinner menu from July of 1947.
Picture 11: Rio Grande "Royal Gorge" breakfast menu from September of 1961.
Picture 12: An early Erie Lackawanna buffet menu.

Date: 04/09/20 10:44
Author: jcaestecker

Thanks so much for posting.  Can never get enough of old dining car menus.

-John

Date: 04/09/20 16:54
Author: Topfuel

The same colorful graphics seen on the Rio Grande menu were also used on company letterhead stationary of the era.

Date: 04/09/20 17:44
Author: agentatascadero

This is a very welcome return to these pages.  Much appreciated here.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/09/20 17:48
Author: cr7998

Thanks for this interesting post.  The variety of the L&N menu is amazing.  On the other hand, the IC menu choices seem rather limited, especially for a name train like the City of New Orleans.  

Date: 04/12/20 23:07
Author: alally8444

Hou74-76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hostesses not waiters on the Bangor & Aroostook's
> dining car, interesting!

The superindendent of dining cars was a woman too. A definite break from tradition at the time. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds