Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > GP30 Thursday: Purcell, OK

Date: 04/09/20 08:40
GP30 Thursday: Purcell, OK
Author: santafe199

Here’s a near-nosebleed shot from the James C. Nance Memorial Bridge in Purcell, OK. This iconic bridge, carrying US hwy 77 ~ OK hwy 39 has been a backdrop for countless Santa Fe/Amtrak images over the years. But in my experience I haven’t seen that many shots from the bridge itself. Maybe some kudos need to be extended to photographer Tom Carlson for his suicidal bravery in getting this shot from a busy 2-lane highway bridge. With absolutely no way to park on the bridge it must have been quite a hike over the narrow walkway, presumably from the west end…

1. AT&SF 2712 leads an early BNSF manifest south (TT west) into Purcell, OK on October 17, 1996.
Photo by Tom Carlson from the Daniel Archer collection

Thanks for looking down!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Daniel Archer (SKOChief)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/23 00:55 by santafe199.

Date: 04/09/20 10:25
Re: GP30 Thursday: Purcell, OK
Author: cr7998

Lance - thanks for posting this neat shot.  The bridge was rebuilt in 2019 and expanded to four lanes, I wonder if pedestrians are any safer on the rebuilt version.  

Date: 04/09/20 12:13
Re: GP30 Thursday: Purcell, OK
Author: santafe199

cr7998 Wrote: > ...  bridge was rebuilt in 2019 ...

I didn't know that. I've been to/through Purcell many times, but I don't recall ever actually going over the bridge. I only remember coming down I-35. Wow, as high up as the bridge is that must have been one helluva construction project...

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds