Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sometimes... - B&O

Date: 04/09/20 12:26
Sometimes... - B&O
Author: refarkas

Sometimes you need a square to convey an image. At first I thought this would be for Thirty Thursday as the lead unit is a GP30. The more I looked at the image, the more I realized it had to be a square instead of my cropping it.
The lashup is GP30, GP9, and F7A.
I am standing by a signal mast in Akron, Ohio in the late 1960's/early 1970's. The camera is pointed north while the train is curving east.  For trackage information check EL833's comprehensive comments below.
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 14:44 by refarkas.

Date: 04/09/20 12:46
Re: Sometimes... - B&O
Author: perklocal

Nice Composition !

Date: 04/09/20 13:01
Author: krm152

How about Terrific Thursday.  The scene just has so much to like. 
That Hormel ice reefer was also a very nice part of the scene.
Thanks for another excellent photo posting.
ALLEN

Date: 04/09/20 13:04
Author: WrongMain

There's a lot to like in this one!  The consist is pure B&O, and just about everything else is, too.

Date: 04/09/20 14:40
Author: EL833

Nice. I'm glad you didn't crop this, way more interesting by far as a scene than some engine close up. Typical '70's look with the jointed rail mainlines and weed infestation. As for those tracks, you are standing next to the JO northbound home signal bridge support. The close track is the PC (ex PRR) 103 track, the next two are the joint Penn Central and B&O northbound and southbound mains operated under PC rules but with B&O signals. That northbound train (by PC rules, it's actually an eastbound train) is running reverse on the southbound main, somewhat common. There were only the two Erie E and W main tracks at JO. There is a third Erie track up on that higher location behind the train to serve Quaker Oats. That other signal bridge had the JO home signals for eastbound Erie trains and a B&O/PC signal for southbounds. There were many "short blocks" in this area, a holdover from passenger days. Here is a 1975 shot showing the bridge you were standing next to just ahead of the PC train. It was always a cool area to photograph at, let's see more if you can !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 04/09/20 14:44
Author: refarkas

Another EL833 beauty.
Bob

Date: 04/10/20 06:26
Author: Roadjob

I have to go square on occasion as well....Horizontal or vertical just don't convey what I'm trying to show. Great job on the composition Bob, it captures the scene perfectly. Gives it a you are there feel! That EL833 guy almost convinced me he knows what he is talking about...You think he actually lived there????

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/20 06:29 by Roadjob.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds