Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Nostalgia & History > San Francisco Peninsula Passenger, Tom Eikerenkotter Photos

Date: 05/20/20 19:58
San Francisco Peninsula Passenger, Tom Eikerenkotter Photos
Author: FiveChime

1. SP PAs 6038 &6066 lead a short winter season Coast Daylight, Train #98, past the ever present eucalyptus trees
    in Burlingame, California 2/7/60.
2. SP E7 A 6003 on 7/24/64, leads two sisters powering Train #98, The Coast Daylight, with a summer season length train
    past the Burlingame, California Station which was constructed in 1894 in Spanish Colonial Revival and Mission Revival
    architecture styles. The station is a slightly brighter color today and is a local history museum. The code wire poles are
    now gone as is the center platform, which has been replaced by an iron fence to prevent passengers from crossing to
    the platform now on the east side of the tracks.
3. SP passenger GP9s 3002 & 3007 eastbound on Train 126 at Burlingame on 7/9/73 with two subs and four gallery cars.
   The close scheduling of the evening commute parade is evident by the headlight of the following train in the distance.

Tom Eikerenkotter Photos

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 05/20/20 22:24
Re: San Francisco Peninsula Passenger, Tom Eikerenkotter Photos
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE shots!

Larry

Date: 05/21/20 10:31
Author: TonyJ

I always enjoy seeing Tom's photos.

Date: 05/21/20 12:46
Author: daylightdon

Surprised to see such a short Daylight" in 1960.

It was bittersweet to watch the beautiful "Daylight" scheme vanish into the utilitarian scarlet/gray + red striped cars in that era.

Date: 05/21/20 13:49
Author: agentatascadero

I remember my shock at seeing my first "short" Daylight of 7 cars in the fall of '59.  Our HS International Relations club attended a conference at Stanford U, and paced #99 for a while on US 101 south of Salinas.  
I had never seen a Daylight of less than 14 cars, and most were in the 18-22 car range.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/21/20 16:22
Author: Searat

past the ever present
> eucalyptus trees
>    
Those trees have very oily leaves which drips oil  on the rails when the fog pours over the mountains from Half Moon Bay.  When I was firing the late evening commuter trains in the '70s, it was always a challenge to spot the cars on the platform in front of that beutiful station. It took a delicate touch to get all the speed scrubbed off without causing the 'decelostat' brakes to let go due to wheel slide.  Even manual sanding would only help a little!  
Mike

Date: 05/22/20 11:49
Author: 6432

Are my eyes deceiving me but in the first picture it looks like there’s a COSF diner or lounge car in the consist. Great photos and I haven’t ever seen such a short consist during that time with the Daylight.
John B

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds