Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thirty Thursday plus train time at Nyssa - 50 years ago

Date: 05/21/20 15:32
Thirty Thursday plus train time at Nyssa - 50 years ago
Author: donaldcurtis

For those railfans and model railroaders located in the Pacific Northwest, from the 1960's to the late 1980's every Memorial Day weekend  was the date of the famous Spaghetti Feed hosted by Bill and Betty Wilt at their home in Nyssa, OR.  People would descend on small Nyssa from all over the Northwest.  This series of pictures was taken by my father, Allan Carswell, on May 30 1970 as a large number of people have gathered at the Art Deco UP Nyssa depot.  This is probably more people than had been seen at the depot any one time since the previous years Spaghetti Feed.  A group of attendees is preparing to board train No 17, the westbound Portland Rose at the end of festivities.  Others have come to see them off. 
Photo 1 - As we wait for No 17's scheduled arrival at 4:45 pm,  a UP westbound freight with GP30 859 passes the crowd.
Photo 2 - No 17 arrives with E9 907 on the point.  In a years time, 907 will go to Amtrak to become their 412, finally retired in 1981.
Photo 3 - All Aboard!  in the timeless scene, the attendees from points west board the three car train.  It appears the conductor, brakeman, flagmen, and coach porter are all on hand for the oversize crowd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/20 15:58 by donaldcurtis.

Date: 05/21/20 15:33
Re: Thirty Thursday plus train time at Nyssa - 50 years ago

Photo 4 - After the efficient boarding process is complete, the highball is given and the train departs, quickly accelerating to the posted speed for this territory of 79 MPH.  The host, Bill Wilt is in the foreground with his famous sweater.  While Bill and Betty hosted this event for many more years, this will be the last time attendees could come and go by passenger train.  UP trains will come off at the end of April 1971 and when Amtrak's Pioneer was inaugurated in 1977, it did not stop at Nyssa.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/20 16:08 by donaldcurtis.

Date: 05/21/20 15:42
Author: Topfuel

Interesting consist.  No head-end cars, 2 coaches (one a MILW car) and a 1959 lunch counter diner lounge.  Not too bad for a pocket streamliner.

Date: 05/21/20 16:02

Yes, this was the Portland Rose's final configuration from 1969-71.  The previous iteration from 1967-1969 was actually my favorite which was one baggage car, two coaches, lounge/diner, and a sleeper (either an American or National series).  Ironically, the Pioneer followed an inverse pattern in the pre Superliner era.  It started with two Amfleet coaches and a dinette.  It then picked up a baggage car and a 10-6 HEP sleeper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/20 16:04 by donaldcurtis.

Date: 05/21/20 17:37
Author: x6924w

My first train ride was on the Portland Rose sometime in the late 60s from Pocatello to American Falls, about 25 miles. Also remember Dad catching the PR to go to Boise to the VA hospital. The PR and the Butte Special was all I knew about passenger service growing up in SE Idaho.

Date: 05/21/20 18:22
Author: gobbl3gook

Nyssa — one more stop to add on the Oregon Trail route sometime.  

Google aerial photos shows the depot still standing. 

Those of us who ply the Oregon Trail/Oregon Shortline route are certainly fortunate to have an abundance of lovely, well maintained train stations as eye candy along the line.  

I keep discovering new ones.  I stumbled across Baker City last summer.  Looking forward to visiting Nyssa sometime soon.  

Ted in UT

Date: 05/21/20 21:16
Author: E25

Great post, Bruce.  Thanks!

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 05/22/20 10:38
Author: BuddPullman

Very nice views of Tr 17 and riders, etc.  

The 5000 series Cafe Lunch Counter Lounge, as Topfuel pointed out,  will come in handy in the event anyone is still hungry after all the spaghetti! 

Thank you for sharing these photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds