Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > Help with UP Business Train

Date: 05/21/20 16:49
Help with UP Business Train
Author: Willsburg765

I've been scanning in some old prints and I came across these shots I took of a UP business train at Portland (Oregon) Union Station.  I'm hoping someone can help me with a date.  I don't have notes, but this must be between the mid 1980's, when the freight yard at Union Station was removed, and 1998, when "The Yards" apartments were built on the former freight yard property.  I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me the date of this train.  Thanks for the help.
Joe

1. UP business train departing, view from the Steel Bridge.
2. A-B-A E units, as God and EMD intended.
3. C&NW inspection car brings up the rear.

Date: 05/21/20 17:08
Re: Help with UP Business Train
Author: refarkas

Photo one is amazing. What a special scene.
Bob

Date: 05/21/20 17:14
Author: MILW16

1996 or later with the C&NW track inspection car (still in C&NW colors).

Date: 05/21/20 18:20
Author: up833

Must have been a special. Lot of photos being taken for a routine business trip.
RB

Date: 05/22/20 07:00
Author: King_Coal

Lot's of coaches on the front. Maybe an Old-Timers special or something like that.

Date: 05/22/20 07:28
Author: WAF

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lot's of coaches on the front. Maybe an Old-Timers
> special or something like that.
I thtnk so too. The Fox River car is unrelated to the first two photos

Date: 05/22/20 10:07
Author: NYC303

I don't think the Fox River is unrelated to the other photos, looks like the last car in photo 1 could be the Fox River, also looks like the third car from the rear in both photos 1&3 could be the Superdome in C&NW colors. 
Might this be the excursion trip to Bend September 30, 1995?
3985 ran a trip Denver to Portland and there was a trip from Portland to Bend with the E's while they were out there.

Date: 05/22/20 12:21
Author: Willsburg765

In looking closer at my photos, I now realize the first one is a different day than the other two.  I know I took these pictures, I just can't remember when.

Joe

Date: 05/22/20 19:15
Author: GTW231

Last two pictures look like some I took October 1st, 1995, Part of a Pacific Limited Union Pacific Excursion.  I think it is the excursion to Bend through the Deschutes River Canyon 9-30/10-1.  The pictures I have are of the train returning to Portland following the trip on October 1st.  The C&NW car was on the tail end of the Train.  The next day we where on the train headed to Hinkle, Baker City and eventually ending up in Boise. Sure miss those trips!
Dale

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1533 seconds