Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > Photos from the final runs of the Rio Grande "Prospector"

Date: 05/22/20 10:38
Photos from the final runs of the Rio Grande "Prospector"
Author: Railvt

I've posted a number of photos taken on the final west and east departures of D&RGW 7&8 in May, 1967--along with scans of the final dining car menus. They can be viewed on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/carl.fowler.7355/posts/2948238615272233

Date: 05/22/20 10:43
Re: Photos from the final runs of the Rio Grande "Prospector"
Author: SPDRGWfan

Classy train!

Date: 05/22/20 10:45
Author: Railvt

This was a good example of what the railroads once did so well--reliable, predictable overnight service on a level equal to a good business hotel, which a traveller could count on.

Date: 05/22/20 13:36
Author: mdolot1

Rode the Prospector from Salt Lake City to Denver in the summer of 1955, with my parents and sister. I distinctly remember the dining car with the kitchen in the middle.

Carl Michaelsen
Lockport, Il

Date: 05/22/20 14:19
Author: colehour

I rode the Zephyr once during its final years (early '80s).I knew it was on borrowed time and was eager to ride it before it disappeared. The Prospector was no longer running by that time, of course

It was a great trip, and 40 years on I still recall eating the trout in the dining car. 

Thanks for reminding us of the DRGW, a class act to be be sure. 

Date: 05/25/20 06:10
Author: Arkrail

Great photos, Carl.  Thank you for posting.  A DRGW conductor book was recently acquired, filled out by the conductor who worked the last run at least in one direction.  A copy of the page with that last consist is attached.  By the way, please consider the relative archival stability of  Trainorders.com versus Facebook.  A few years from now, with Facebook's rather meager search engine capabilities, your photos may be difficult to find.  Here, at least, they remain relatively accessible.  Might be worthwhile to post these really historic shots in both venues.  In any event, thanks again for posting.
Bill Pollard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/20 06:12 by Arkrail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds