Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forty-Four Friday (PC E-44)

Date: 05/22/20 14:55
Forty-Four Friday (PC E-44)
Author: dwatry

It's May 1975 and a carload of Virginia college boys are loose in Philadelphia.  Managed to catch this eastbound Penn Central freight with 2 E-44s coming off the High Line at Zoo Junction and transitioning onto the Main-Line east to the New York area.  I have no recollection of how we got into Zoo here - I'm pretty certain you could not get access to this point today.  (Directional geography corrected from original post.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/20 19:20 by dwatry.

Date: 05/22/20 16:31
Re: Forty-Four Friday (PC E-44)
Author: PasadenaSub

Wow, very nice.  I love the compositions with that network of catenary overhead.

Rich

Date: 05/22/20 18:00
Author: refarkas

The electric locomotives, the catenary, the curve, and the tower all work together to make this a first-class photo.
Bob

Date: 05/22/20 19:42
Author: cr7998

Great shots.  Zoo interlocking was quite a place, but very difficult to photograph because of fences, wires, and limited access points.  This shot from the access road to the tower could be taken back in those days if you kept a low profile and waited until the train was close.  I believe this road is gated today, and only employees have access.  

Date: 05/22/20 20:32

I've always wondered - is Zoo Tower the largest tower ever built in the US?  I can't think of another in a building quite so large. 

Date: 05/23/20 05:38
Author: LV95032

Train is coming off the high line and going east on the mainline. Access is from a off site zoo parking area. Lot has long since been redeveloped and is now a parking garage.
RWJ

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's May 1975 and a carload of Virginia college
> boys are loose in Philadelphia.  Managed to catch
> this eastbound Penn Central freight with 2 E-44s
> coming off the mainline from Harrisburg at Zoo
> Junction and transitioning onto the High-Line
> going south through Philadelphia.  I have no
> recollection of how we got into Zoo here - I'm
> pretty certain you could not get access to this
> point today. 

Date: 05/23/20 08:39
Re: PC E-44
Author: timz

Like he said, the camera is pointed southish,
and the train is turning east toward NY. These
two tracks were called the Berry tracks?

Date: 05/23/20 15:29
Re: PC E-44

Actually I had misremembered - LV95032 is correct - train is coming off High Line and heading east to NY.  My memory was slightly turned around!  I'll edit the text.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds