Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: Sulphur, OK

Date: 05/22/20 20:19
Depot Friday: Sulphur, OK
Author: BNSF-6432

Here's a view that Frank captured from Sulphur, OK. One of many towns that once once served by the railroad but is not anymore. Built by the Sulphur Springs Railroad and later absorbed into the Frisco, Sulphur, OK was once at the end of a branch that connected to the Frisco's Tulsa, OK to Irving, TX mainline in Scullin, OK. To my knowledge, the depot is gone, as well as $0.24 gas prices.

Taken by Frank Tribbey on March 3, 1962.
PQM

Date: 05/23/20 01:28
Re: Depot Friday: Sulphur, OK
Author: Evan_Werkema

Near as I can tell, the photo was taken right about here, looking west on Oklahoma Highway 7, though virtually no landmarks remain from Tribbey's shot. 

https://goo.gl/maps/9sB5Wthszt1Kw4hp7

Santa Fe served Sulphur, OK too, on a branch east from Davis.  Their line was abandoned in 1939:

http://sites.rootsweb.com/~okmurray/images/SantaFe_Depot_Sul.jpg

Date: 05/23/20 08:41
Author: tomstp

Tha building behind the white pickup looks like the old station.

Date: 05/23/20 10:05
Author: MILW16

Except for an ATSF station on the west side of town that appears to have been moved from, I think, Daugherty on the ATSF OK City-Ft. Worth main, there is no sign of any railroads in Sulphur anymore.  Aerial photography shows the right of way coming from Scullin but that's it.

Date: 05/23/20 10:09
Author: Waybiller

Fantastic photograph with so much historic detail.

With some help from Google, relative price of 1962's .24 cents today is $2.03.  Closest gas I could find on Gasbuddy is $1.64.

Date: 05/23/20 16:35
Author: Evan_Werkema

MILW16 Wrote:

> Aerial photography shows the right of
> way coming from Scullin but that's it.

Bits of the Santa Fe grade coming east from Davis can still be discerned in aerials as well, but I have yet to find a map showing just where their tracks ran in Sulphur and how they interchanged with the Frisco.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds