Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > Misc. SEPTA Photos

Date: 05/29/20 16:41
Misc. SEPTA Photos
Author: MartyBernard

1. SEPTA C121, C122 and 2513 at the Lucerne Depot, Philadelphia, PA on January 21, 1972

2. SEPTA Brilliners 9 and 6, Sharon Hill cars, 69th St, Upper Darby, PA in January 1979

3. SEPTA 407 and more out on a siding along the Norristown Line on October 20, 1990

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/20 20:08 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/29/20 16:59
Re: Misc. SEPTA Photos
Author: MartyBernard

4. SEPTA waiting shelter just outside the 40th Street Portal, Philadelphia, PA on October 10, 2012

5. SEPTA a Frankfort Line Rapid Transit Train, 69th St, Upper Darby, PA on October 20, 1990

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/20 17:08 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/29/20 17:20
Author: refarkas

Traction treasures.
Bob

Date: 05/29/20 19:00
Author: RuleG

Nice variety of photos.

The rapid transit cars shown in the last photo were nicknamed "Almond Joys" due to the lumps on the car roofs.  One of these cars has been preserved as part of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum collection:

https://pa-trolley.org/collection/city-of-philadelphiasepta-606/

Date: 06/04/20 13:21
Author: Gonut1

I rode the Almond Joy cars with a friend just before SEPTA replaced the cars and all the jointed rail on the elevated along West Market Street. We had just come in from Norristown on the nearly new Rte 100 cars. It was a really hot day and all the doors and windows were open on those old stainless steel Budds. The roof lumps were just fans, no air conditioning in those cars. Well when we got off in center city he said to me, "Don't expect me to set foot in those things again". "I thought for sure we would be killed in an awful derailment". He was right, at 60 MPH the cars shook, rock and rolled, shuddered, vibrated and between them and the stick rail joints and  with the wind blowing straight through the cars it was frightening to say the least! It only intensified when the train ducked into the Market Stree Subway and all that commotion echoed and reverbed off the walls! Today with modern air-conditioned cars on new welded rail and rebuilt infrastructure it is a plain vanilla ride. Ah! The good old days.
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds