Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > Mark Twain Zephyr in KC

Date: 05/30/20 08:53
Mark Twain Zephyr in KC
Author: chiefbuilder

I ran across some of my old slides of the Burlington's Mark Twain Zephyr when it was in Kansas City, Missouri.  In June of 1979 it was owned by local banker Alex Barkett and stored at the Bryam's Ford (Civil War battlefield) industrial park in southeast Kansas City and not far from the former Missouri Pacific main line to Paola, Kansas.  I understand that the set is now located in Madison, Illinois but sadly in a more deteriorated condition.

Date: 05/30/20 09:00
Re: Mark Twain Zephyr in KC
Author: dan

it seems it was stripped, of it's wheels now

Date: 05/30/20 09:02
Author: ClubCar

Very sad, but this is what is happening all around the country.  Too many trains, one-of-a-kind locomotives and cars being allowed to rust and deteriorate and now with our citizens having money problems because of this pandemic, the future for museums looks mighty bleak at best.  It's even worse here in Baltimore at the B&O R.R. Museum as things have been going down hill for many years with everything outside falling apart with rust.  Many of these passenger cars in their collection are one-of-a-kind, they tell the real history of the B&O and they will not make it if things don't get better.  Too much money was wasted at that museum by the prior management and now it's a real high mountain to climb.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/30/20 09:49
Author: refarkas

Super catch!
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds