Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Sunday Santa Fe . . .

Date: 07/05/20 16:59
A Sunday Santa Fe . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   while working for the Santa Fe, more often than not, I had my camera along. In the mid to late eighties Santa Fe tried a lot of combinations of "assigned" train jobs before the unions agreed to  moving the "through freight pool" from San Bernardino to Los Angeles. Here, in NOV '87, working an assigned job that worked the 893 train east and the 828 train west the following morning. The DS has put us, the westbound "Harbor" train, 828, in the siding at Corona, CA, for an eastbound. What was I supposed to do with perfect light and clean power? Today, technically, this would be a rule violation. Just as additonal information, a couple hundred feet behind me was the location of the tragic near head on collision between a westbound, that was supposed to stop here, and the eastbound 891 train back in the early nineties.
JB

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 17:07 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 07/05/20 21:49
Re: A Sunday Santa Fe . . .
Author: Railfan4Christ

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, thanks for sharing the results with us.

Tom

Date: 07/05/20 23:52
Author: wpamtk

Right up until I retired in 2016, I carried a Pentax 35mm SLR to work every day. I kept waiting for someone to tell me it violated the FRA mandate against electronic devices (which it was not), but nobody ever said anything.

Date: 07/06/20 10:07
Author: Ivar

Is that picture taken right near “Railroad St.” in Corona?

Date: 07/06/20 11:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Yes, just short of Railroad Street.
JB

Date: 07/06/20 12:22
Author: texchief1

Nice shot, JB!  I remember the 91 wreck.  I think a GP60M was the leader on one of the trains.  There were fatalities.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 07/06/20 12:31
Author: texchief1

JB,

Did the crews just run from San Berdoo to LA  and spend the night.  What did that take?  3hours?

Thanks for explanation.

Randy Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds