Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday: from Amtrak #4!

Date: 07/06/20 03:10
Maroon Monday: from Amtrak #4!
Author: santafe199

Here are a couple of Dutch-door photos at Joliet while riding Amtrak #4 in 1980. I had ridden train #16 past this Rock Island tower about 18 months earlier on a similar trip to the east coast. And it caught me by surprise. So this time I was prepared. Alas, I was shooting a grayish tower on a grayish day. But it was still a Rock Island structure. Good enough for Maroon Monday… :^)

1. & 2. A pair of shots of Rock Island’s old UD Tower at Joliet, IL. Taken from an open Dutch door on Amtrak train #4, the “Southwest Limited” on October 1, 1980.

Thanks for looking to & fro!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 07/06/20 04:49
Re: Maroon Monday: from Amtrak #4!
Author: refarkas

Well done. The grayish day and gray tower worked well to give good lighting.
Bob

Date: 07/06/20 07:44
Author: Bob3985

Poor old UD tower looks so forelorn. I was able to sit up in it with a friend I made, Elmer Campbell - tower operator, and watch him work the pistol grip control panel as trains rolled thru.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/06/20 12:38
Author: texchief1

Good sharp shot!  Were you moving?

Thānks for posting.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 07/06/20 13:09
Author: Roadjob

Man, the tower really deteriorated in the four years between when I was there, and your shots. Seems when the Rock stopped rolling, it took the tower's soul. Good grabs on the angles though!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 07/06/20 13:26
Author: santafe199

texchief1 Wrote:  > ...  Were you moving?

caption: 1. & 2. A pair of shots of Rock Island’s old UD Tower at Joliet, IL. Taken from an open Dutch door on Amtrak train #4, the “Southwest Limited” on October 1, 1980.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds