Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Nostalgia & History > Marion Monday, EL at sunset

Date: 07/06/20 16:12
Marion Monday, EL at sunset
Author: cr7998

Here is a shot at Marion, Ohio, taken near sunset on September 9, 1973.  I had just graduated from high school a few months before, and that was my first year with a decent 35MM camera.  Although I had much to learn about photography, and was making some rookie mistakes, this shot came out okay.  On the right is the Marion-to-Dayton train, MD97, having just made its usual late afternoon shove move out of Marion Yard, waiting for the signal to proceed down the Dayton Branch.  F units were very common power on the Dayton trains at that time.  While the Dayton train was waiting by the depot, a westbound trailer train came by on the adjacent track.  In the background is AC Tower, in its original position on the north side of the tracks.  Unfortunately, I only made one more visit to Marion before the EL disappeared into Conrail.  

Date: 07/06/20 16:48
Re: Marion Monday, EL at sunset
Author: King_Coal

Fine photo for an expert much less a beginner. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/06/20 16:57
Author: refarkas

Considering the location of the sun and how it cast shadows, you made a first-rate choice of how to take this. Well done.
Bob

Date: 07/06/20 17:18
Author: perklocal

Nice Work !  I love it.

Date: 07/06/20 17:49
Author: ironmtn

Marion is one of my favorite places. I never made it there during EL days, or earlier, but this fine image got me there today. Well done indeed, rookie or not. Thanks for making the effort, learning curve or no back then, and for sharing it with us now.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 07/07/20 08:27
Author: thebluecomet

Very nice shot.  Framed nicely with the signal bridge, the sign on the station canopy, the tower and the light was just right.  

Date: 07/07/20 19:04
Author: EL833

What a great shot of some EL late day action at Marion !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds