Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Nostalgia & History > SPUD, Not a Potato, But St. Paul's Train Depot

Date: 07/06/20 17:28
SPUD, Not a Potato, But St. Paul's Train Depot
Author: MartyBernard

If you have never been to St. Paul Union Depot or not seen it since its renovation, you should find this Blog interesting.

https://railfan44.blogspot.com/2015/05/spud-not-potato-but-st-pauls-train-depot.html

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 07/06/20 18:14
Re: SPUD, Not a Potato, But St. Paul's Train Depot
Author: agentatascadero

Very nice photo essay, thanks.  I was in SPUD just once in '62, transferred from Soo's Winnepeg Ltd. to C&NWs Twin Cities 400.
Thden, it was a very busy place.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/06/20 20:11
Author: RuleG

Thanks, Marty, for posting.  There are some nice photos.  However, the following statement is erroneous:

"The last train to stop at SPUD was in 1974 when Amtrak moved to the Midway Station."

When Amtrak took over the nation's intercity rail passenger service, the Great Northern Depot in Minneapolis became the station serving the Twin Cities until it moved into the Midway Station in 1978.

The blog also refers to a Greek restaurant, Christos, in the former SPUD waiting room.  During several visits to the Twin Cities (mostly prior to the renovation of SPUD, I dined at Christos, a wonderful restaurant.  Unfortunately, Christos left in 2016.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/20 18:48 by RuleG.

Date: 07/06/20 21:37
Author: MartyBernard

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Marty, for posting.  There are some nice
> photos. 

Thanks for the corrections.  I fixed them.  Has anything replaced Christos?   Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/20 21:39 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/07/20 05:48
Author: gbmott

Very nicely done, Marty -- thanks.

Gordon

Date: 07/07/20 07:58
Author: Rmosele

Very nice photos and story!

Date: 07/07/20 08:06
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for posting this, Marty.  SPUD was "my depot" in my youth.  We often went there as a family, especially at Christmas time to see the big model railroad housed in the depot. 
In the photo of the "William Crooks", the model railraod room would be behind the tender.  Later, in the mid-60's, I would join that group, and after meeting nights, several of use would 
slip down to the platform and admire the various passenger trains.  SPUD was a neat place and I'm glad John Diers finally gave it its due in his book.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/07/20 18:53
Author: RuleG

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RuleG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks, Marty, for posting.  There are some
> nice
> > photos. 
>
> Thanks for the corrections.  I fixed them.  Has
> anything replaced Christos?   Marty

Station 81 Drink & Eatery occupies that space, now.  Due to the coronavirus, it is not currently in operation.  If I make another trip to St. Paul, I will definitely go there, as walleye is on the menu.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds