Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lone Star at Joliet

Date: 08/01/20 11:38
Lone Star at Joliet
Author: gcm

Sept 77
1-2) #15 the southbound Lone Star arrives and leaves Joliet.

3) The diner on this day was 8043, a 1942 Budd car for the Santa Fe.

Date: 08/01/20 11:39
Re: Lone Star at Joliet
Author: gcm

4) A nice clean and shiny train.
The last car was one of the ex-Santa Fe Regal series sleepers.
Regal Ruby built by P-S in 1948 with 4 dbl bedrooms, 4 compartments and 2 drawing rooms.

Gary

Date: 08/01/20 11:46
Author: refarkas

I really like these. They bring back so many good memories of Joliet. Those semaphores make these even better.
Bob

Date: 08/01/20 11:55
Author: andersonb109

The Lone Star was a great train often with some very unique equipment including for awhile CZ Dome Observations. 

Date: 08/01/20 12:06
Author: RodneyZona

Old AT&SF RR Fort Madison, IA based passenger train and engine crews worked to and from Chicago.

Date: 08/01/20 12:14
Author: SPJoe

Good looking train!
Joe

Date: 08/01/20 14:03
Author: MEKoch

But no lounge car in the usual position of before the dining car and behind the coaches.  

Date: 08/01/20 15:25
Author: krm152

Nice series on at Joliet.  Like the SDP40F's up front.
Thanks for the intertesting photo posting.
ALLEN

Date: 08/01/20 15:43
Author: UP951West

Wonderful slides showing the coming and going of a great train.  Thanks, Gary !    --Kelly

Date: 08/01/20 15:54
Author: Hou74-76

It is an unusual consist for the Lone Star.  If the Sep 77 date is correct, (and I do not doubt Gary) that would mean that the last four cars are headed to Dallas.  Normally the diner would be placed between the lead sleeper and Hi-levels. But I scratch my head at the thought that there were no roomettes on the Dallas section.  Maybe some folks got an upgrade.  In this era Amtrak Chicago was "artful" with their creation of consists.

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But no lounge car in the usual position of before
> the dining car and behind the coaches.  

Date: 08/01/20 17:07
Author: fulham

I do recall riding the Lone Star between Chicago and Dallas in August of 1977 and I think myself and my father had a Double bedroom even though we had booked 2 roomettes.  A year later I rode between Chicago and Ft. Worth with the late Dave Johannsen (a friend from TCU), and we were in the Dallas sleeper in a Double bedroom in lieu of 2 roomettes.  I vaguely recall that there were not roomettes available to Dallas, and if you booked one, you would get a DBR at the cost of a roomette.  Could be wrong but that situation sticks in my memory.  The Lone Star was really a nice train...I feel fortunate I was able to ride it.

Date: 08/02/20 06:00
Author: Bob3985

Great Joliet photos.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/02/20 12:15
Author: PE-717

I thought I read that the 4 bedrooms in the Regal series sleepers without the separate annex (only a combolet) were sold as Roomettes and the Drawing Rooms sold as Double Bedrooms. These were very nice cars.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds