Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > When the smoke got in our eyes...we liked it!

Date: 08/11/20 04:21
When the smoke got in our eyes...we liked it!
Author: Roadjob

Lets face it, the steam fans had it best. Being able to watch the machines external parts working , the sounds, smells, and the smoke. You knew a steam engine was doing what it was intended to do when you saw the great beasts belching their discharge into the air. Many of us have at least had that thrill riding on, or photographing these magnificent machines, courtesy of fan trips and the dedicated organizations that sponsored them. That is the point of reference we have to that olden age. point. When I was young, I ran across many steam fans that had given up railfanning because it was either boring, or just wasn't real railroading anymore. Diesels destroyed the drama for them, and now five decades plus removed from my wonder years, I know how they felt. Railroads themselves, and the inevitable changes in technology have done the same to me. I am sure the young fan of today has taken my place in the rabid fan department, because it is their time. some of us "older heads" still hang on though.

That brings us to the post today. Every now and then diesels could do their variations of steam engines. Weather, grades, speed, mechanical condtions, and age could cause diesels to channel their inner Mallets. Lets face it, those plumes or, just heavy exhaust helped to convey to the viewer of ones images, that these mechanical marvels were actually moving. I liked it, and I dare say, it was one of the reasons, the Alco power rose to the top of many fans favorite list. Lets go watch the diesels move.

And this is why we liked Alcos

top...eastbound east of Wilkes Barre Pa. 1973

middle...westbound near Cove Pa. 1974

bottom...Marion Ohio, 1973

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/20 12:40 by Roadjob.

Date: 08/11/20 04:23
Re: When the smoke got in our eyes...we liked it!

top...Oneonta NY, 1972

middle...Hyndman Pa. helper racing east to get in position to push a westbound, 1978

bottom...near Loyall ky. 1979

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/11/20 04:25

top...Cumberland 1967

middle...Near Morrisville Pa. 1973

bottom...Eastbound transfer, Carroll tower, Baltimore, 1966

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/11/20 04:29

top...eastbound Collinwood yard, Cleveland

middle...Kansas City, 1983

bottom...a different kind of smoke...brakes. eastbound helper,  M&K Jct. 1970

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/11/20 04:33

top...Corbin KY. 1979

middle...Location lost, 1980

bottom...westbound west of Avondale La. 1976

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/11/20 05:03
Author: ironmtn

Another outstanding set, Bill. Neat theme, and lots of fine images to go along with it. Thanks much as always.

MC

Date: 08/11/20 05:53
Author: refarkas

Cough! Cough! Cough!
Bob

Date: 08/11/20 09:04
Author: EL833

Roadjob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> top...Corbin KY. 1979

Nice series Bill ! I like the L&N RS-36/slug set at Corbin, the 913 is a former Tennessee Central unit. And tell me me you grabbed a shot of that Monon boxcar behind it !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 08/11/20 09:52
Author: jgilmore

Great set of shots, Bill! I'm a big LV fan so that first one is esp. nice. Tell you what, steam is fine but if two trains were coming at me, one with LV Alcos and the other a steam train, I'm watching the Alcos go by any day...

JG

Date: 08/11/20 09:56
Author: krm152

A very nice series.  Especially like EL #1015.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 08/11/20 10:09
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Excellent series, thank you for posting. I remember when the EL lashed up 3,4 and at times 5 RS3's working Marion yard kicking long strings of cars around, the amount of smoke would make a sunny day look like the middle of the night. I was able to get cab rides and depending on the wind direction, the cab would fill up with exhaust and half choke you to death, I sure do miss those free rides!

Date: 08/11/20 10:53
Author: cr7998

Bill - another excellent post, with lots of "atmosphere", and creative photography that emphasized the smokiness of your subjects.  The first shot of the eastbound LV train is at Laurel Run, on the mountain east of Wilkes-Barre.   Many photos of the LV were taken from the Laurel Run Road overpass.  Neat to see the same place from ground level.  Thanks for the great post.  

Steve Salamon
Valley City, OH

Date: 08/11/20 11:23

If I made one error in my time on the rails Rog, it was not concentrating on rolling stock. No I did not get a clean shot of the Monon car. Truth be told, I didn't pay much attention to the cars at all. My bad, but if digital were around then, it may have been a different story.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/11/20 15:36
Author: skyview

Agreed, outstanding set of imagery!  Really like the LV snowbird and EL.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds