Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Nostalgia & History > TP&W Tuesday - Will It Play in Peoria? Yes!

Date: 08/11/20 07:42
TP&W Tuesday - Will It Play in Peoria? Yes!
Author: ironmtn

A famous catchphrase, in various versions, asked about something "playing in Peoria." The phrase had its origin decades ago in vaudeville and burlesque, where performers joked about playing that quintessentially Midwestern city. Over time, that something "played in Peoria" could be a groan about being in a second-tier, backwater place, or an assurance that an act, a product, or a political stance would have wide acceptance because it worked well in that oh-so-middle-of-the-road heartland city. And the city indeed has been famed for many years as a test market for products of all kinds. Perhaps most famously, Richard Nixon's advisor, John Ehrlichman, once assured a reporter that a Nixon policy position would work out well despite its controversy: "Don't worry", Ehrlichman said, "It'll play in Peoria".

And likewise, there's never been much doubt about how well the Toledo, Peoria & Western would "play" for railfans. The road's fast bridge route around Chicago, and its classy, colorful diesels have long made it a favorite, if a less-than-frequently visited and seldom seen one. A pilgrimage to Peoria, the heart of the TP&W, was always a worthwhile trip, as in these images from a St. Louis Chapter NRHS Saturday "motor excursion", a regular, monthly event organized by member Clyde Anderson. A bunch of us would pile into a couple of cars and head off for railfan train watching and photography somewhere or another. These Agfachromes are process-dated January 1985, but I believe the trip was actually in November 1984. In any case, there's not much doubt in viewing them that the TP&W and Peoria will always "play" just fine for railfans. Enjoy.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 08/11/20 07:43
Re: TP&W Tuesday - Will It Play in Peoria? Yes!

ABOVE:

1) A freight working in East Peoria as seen from the Meadows Ave. (US 150) overpass, looking southwest.

2) At the engine terminal  in East Peoria, with two generations and two builders' power working a switch job. The 801 is a Century 424, one of two which the TP&W rostered. It's interesting to see the differing frame heights between the EMD units and the Alco spliced in the middle. TP&W always kept its power in immaculate condition.

3) A freight crosses the Peoria & Pekin Union's Illinois River drawbridge, as seen from the river's west bank in Peoria looking east.

MC
(Later edit: TP&W 801 corrected to e Century 424, per a note received, as below.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/20 10:19 by ironmtn.

Date: 08/11/20 07:54
Author: 3rdswitch

That's a great trio.
JB

Date: 08/11/20 08:08
Author: tramfan

A very railfan-friendly railroad!

John

Date: 08/11/20 09:10
Author: refarkas

First-rate photos.
Bob

Date: 08/11/20 09:16
Author: stevelv

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 The 801 is a Century 420, one of two
> which the TP&W rostered. 

Nice shots!  Small correction the 800 and 801 are C424's.  They went to the Morristown and Erie as their 18 and 19.  They have both been saved with the 800 (M&E 18) going to the Illinois RR museum and the 801 (M&E 19) going to the Tri State Railway Historical Society in New Jersey.

Date: 08/11/20 09:34

stevelv Wrote:
> ironmtn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>  The 801 is a Century 420, one of two
> > which the TP&W rostered. 
>
> Nice shots!  Small correction the 800 and 801 are
> C424's.  They went to the Morristown and Erie as
> their 18 and 19.  They have both been saved with
> the 800 (M&E 18) going to the Illinois RR museum
> and the 801 (M&E 19) going to the Tri State
> Railway Historical Society in New Jersey.

Thanks for the correction. The roster that I researched was incorrect in listing them as C420's. I appreciate the correction for the good of the order, and for the additional history on their subsequent disposition.

MC

Date: 08/11/20 09:39
Author: jgilmore

Plays for me! Nice bunch, esp. since there's not much coverage of TPW around... JG

Date: 08/11/20 16:55
Author: santafe199

Good stuff! The TP&W was always on my "to-do" list because of its close tie with my Santa Fe. But other than a few roster shots at Argentine I only fanned the TP&W once, on a drive home from Illinois. Thanks for the look!

Lance

Date: 08/11/20 17:33
Author: 1019X

ironmtn Wrote:

> 3) A freight crosses the Peoria & Pekin Union's
> Illinois River drawbridge, as seen from the
> river's west bank in Peoria looking east.
>
Great photo, the water looks a little high.What was flood stage?

Date: 08/12/20 16:01
Author: LV95032

Nice to see TP&W photos.
RWJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds