Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Encore 40: Sacramento Northern F3A + WP F w/the 'SN Detour' train

Date: 09/15/20 10:50
Encore 40: Sacramento Northern F3A + WP F w/the 'SN Detour' train
Author: valmont

This shot by Alan Miller was taken @ Stockton CA on Oct. 1, 1967. Here's some info from original post:
From rob_l:
"This is the train known as the SN Detour, which ran from South Sacramento to Stockton over WP, ran around the train at WP's Stockton yard (and so was operated with cabooses on both ends), thence over ATSF to Pittsburg, then onto SN trackage at Pittsburg, CA, and reverse route to South Sacramento."

From CNWH-1
"The SN unit was from the NYO&W after it went bankrupt. I remember when they arrived in Sacramento. I was working for the SP at the time. As I remember they got 2 F-3s. The WP got 1 unit."

Date: 09/15/20 10:58
Re: Encore 40: Sacramento Northern F3A + WP F w/the 'SN Detour' t
Author: refarkas

Beautiful!
Bob

Date: 09/15/20 11:00
Author: ble692

Looks like they are about across from the yard office and the fireman is looking back to see if they are in the clear so they can cut away and run around the train.

Date: 09/15/20 11:38
Author: dwatry

Very nice!

Date: 09/15/20 11:42
Author: jbwest

Nice to see some interesting rail history so well recorded on film.  Great story, great image.

JBWX

Date: 09/15/20 12:15
Author: PHall

The SN got the F's because Santa Fe demanded larger motive power then the GE 70 Tonners the SN had at the time for the Detour.

Date: 09/15/20 13:10
Author: atsf121

Very nice! Too bad those weren’t running when I started chasing. It was a pair of boring UP GP-15s instead.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 13:12 by atsf121.

Date: 09/15/20 15:02
Author: ironmtn

Wow! So, I'm just thinking....what are the chances I would ever see a Sacramento Northern (!) F3 (!!) in color (!!!!!)...and a stunning paint scheme I'd never seen (!!!!!!!!). Nope. Dream on. Couldn't possibly happen....
Next thing you know I'll be looking for pigs to fly.

Thanks, valmont. Really, really special.

MC

Date: 09/15/20 15:38
Author: krm152

A truly wonderful and historic photo.
SN #301-A was ex-NYO&W #501.
Thanks for the outstanding post.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds