Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > JWW on US 30 (vol #1): Richland, NE

Date: 09/15/20 13:44
JWW on US 30 (vol #1): Richland, NE
Author: santafe199

My first experience with world-famous US hwy 30 as a full-fledged railfan picture-taker came in 1977. I was tagging along on a business trip with Jim Watson, who shot the 1975 image below. It would the first of a half-dozen or so excursions I would take with Jim in the coming couple of years. As well as being great railfan adventures, for me these trips were also a source of valuable education in the finer points of railfan photography. I was also instructed in the ways of paying close attention to the algebraic balance between aperture & shutter speed for a given film ASA. And how to “cheat” my light meter just a skosh in order to get better color saturation. Because I was a novice full of curiosity I probably drove Jim crazy with a trainload of questions. But he can’t complain: He kept asking me along… :^)

1. UP 407 is eastbound with some serious manifest tonnage in the sticks east of Richland, NE. Not a lot of horsepower is needed on a downgrade such as this. As everyone can plainly see the elevation of the caboose on this outfit is clearly 4½ inches* higher than the engine consist. The biggest worry the hogger might have is how to safely stop his train when his trip across Husker Nation ends with entry into Council Bluffs, IA at the Missouri River.
Photo credit: October 22, 1975 by James W. Watson.

Thanks for looking uphill!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

(*Jes’ simmer down there, fella! This is a parody thread, not to be taken seriously. The rear end is really only 1¾ inches higher than the 2 units… ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 23:23 by santafe199.

Date: 09/15/20 13:52
Re: JWW on US 30 (vol #1): Richland, NE
Author: refarkas

First-class, well-thought-out image.
Bob

Date: 09/15/20 13:59
Author: valmont

At least you knew enough not to wander past the 'photo line' ... such as it was ; ^ )

Date: 09/15/20 16:17
Author: stevelv

Thanks Lance.  Great photo by Jim.  SD24 and what looks like a GP9B hauling ass down the mainline and in nice light.

Date: 09/15/20 19:12
Author: SP4360

Straight to 8 and let 'er rip. Nice shot lance.

Date: 09/15/20 19:15
Author: twjurgens

Great shot!  The UP follows the Platte River across central Nebraska from North Platte to Omaha.  Except for the slight downgrade that's some of the flatest grond in the state!

Date: 09/15/20 19:23
Author: UP951West

Now that's my kind of action shot. Four stars , Jim.   Thanks for posting this one,. Lance.   --Kelly

Date: 09/15/20 20:14
Author: DD40

twjurgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot!  The UP follows the Platte River
> across central Nebraska from North Platte to
> Omaha.  Except for the slight downgrade that's
> some of the flatest grond in the state!
>  

About a 1800 ft elevation change in what, 300 miles or so? Not much grade!

Date: 09/15/20 21:56
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE shot of the whole train!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds