Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another forgotten workhorse lost to time.

Date: 09/16/20 03:28
Another forgotten workhorse lost to time.
Author: Roadjob

With the coming of second generation diesel power, the big three builders of the later 60s were in a race to develop as many different configurations as their R&D people could dream up. EMD and GE were cleary the leaders, as Alco was quickly working itself out of contention. EMD was king at that point though, and railroads were standing in line for the latest high horsepower model. In 1967, EMD made a model that was tailor made for a road like the B&O. Dropping back to a 2,000 horsepower model, the manufacturer brought out the GP38. Not much different to look at on the surface other than a different configuration for the radiator fans, but the B&O loved them, as a continuing replacement for the aging F units, and to pick up some of the duties of the equally aging GP 9 fleet. Anyway, fifty of the model made their B&O debut in 67, and had an encore preformance in 1970, with an additional 20 showing up. They roamed system wide for many years, covering every type of duty required of them. Most fans, including yours truly, just didn't think much about them one way or the other, but in 2020, we'll give them a long overdue salute.

top...westbound grain empties leaving Grafton WVa. 1971

middle...brand new at the time, westbound changing crews on the fly at Bay View yard in Baltimore, 1967

bottom...westbound at Blue Island Illinois. 1971

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/20 03:29 by Roadjob.

Date: 09/16/20 03:32
Re: Another forgotten workhorse lost to time.

top...in helper service on Sand Patch, passing Q tower at Hyndman Pa. 1971

middle...eastbound on Cranberry grade, 1974

bottom... another helpere assignment on Sand Patch, 1972

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/16/20 03:38

top...eastbound about to cross EL diamond at Sterling Ohio, 1975

middle...westbound empties descending Cranberry grade 1974

bottom...westbound Saint Louis Jet leaving Cumberland, 1969

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/16/20 03:41

top...eastbound coal at Fort Meade Jct. Md. 1972

middle...another westbound push on Sand Patch 1972

bottom...westbound ore train near Paw Paw WVa.1972

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/20 03:48 by Roadjob.

Date: 09/16/20 03:44

One last one is and eastbound attacking the west slope of Sand Patch at Fort Hill Pa. 1974

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/16/20 04:00
Author: refarkas

First-class set. My favorite shows the operator at Sterling Tower handing up orders.
Bob

Date: 09/16/20 06:32
Author: photobob

Great shots as always.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 09/16/20 06:35
Author: rrpreservation

Wonderful photography!!! Thank you for sharing your photos.

Date: 09/16/20 06:45
Author: WM_1109

Uh oh...somebody went mountain climbing again.
/Ted

PS:  Excellent series of photos, Bill.

Date: 09/16/20 07:03
Author: ClubCar

I love them all, especially the ones in the mountains of Maryland and West Virginia.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 09/16/20 10:41
Author: gcm

Another excellent set !
Love the one at Sterling.
Gary

Date: 09/16/20 12:26
Author: santafe199

Well...... it's official: "A day without a selection of 'Roadjob' images is a day severely lacking in something vital." Today was the day. If I didn't see a post from our good man Bill, I would have sent him a slightly panicky PM to see what was wrong. But today I've gotten a much-needed transfusion of Roadjob images. And not a minute too soon! All is right with the world, now. I can breathe a lot easier, and I can carry on with whatever it was I was doing...

;^)

Date: 09/16/20 12:56

Lance, you are a piece of work! Someday we have to meet!! I was actually in Utah hiking National Parks in honor of my [ugh] 70th birthday! Just to prove an old age does not override a child like mindset. On the rail front, we stayed several days in Green River Utah, which has the former Rio Grande main line running through it. In five days saw five trains, two BNSF, two UP, and 1 Amtrak. Happy I wasn't there to railfan, I'd have been suicidal. Was north for a day up around Ogden. A far cry from when I was there 43 years ago. SP facilities all gone, and I went east into Weber Canyon for three hours on my only legitimate train watching time. I saw ONE eastbound, and this was a Thursday early morning. Forty three years ago, that same period woud have bagged me at least 8 trains....no wonder in my mind why I don't actively do this anymore.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 09/16/20 14:40
Author: santafe199

Roadjob Wrote: > ... Someday we have to meet!! ...

I would consider that a great honor! I suspect we could bounce several stories off of each other. (Maybe even a few that could be posted here... ;^) And it appears I'm only 5 years behind you. Although the after-effects of walking pneumonia have me feeling like I'm 5 years ahead of you...

And if ~ when we do meet, the first round is on me. Cold & frosty... or Geritol. No matter... :^)

Lance

Date: 09/16/20 16:22
Author: fritzrr

Bill, I hate to be THAT guy, but...the photo identified as Ft Mead Junction isn't...Hyattsville MD maybe???

Love you posts! I was excited to see Ft Mead Jct, spent a lot of time their late 80s and early 90s. Keep 'em coming!

Fritz in MD

Date: 09/17/20 03:48

Second and third cold ones are on me!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0812 seconds