Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > Labor Day Weekend 1964

Date: 09/21/20 09:47
Labor Day Weekend 1964
Author: CBQ4002

Labor Day Weekend of 1964, the Illini RR Club ran an excursion from Chicago to Marquette, MI to the M&HM on Sept 5.  From there the trip went to Duluth to rided behind D&NE #28 on the DWP to Virginia, MN.  That night excursion went to St. Paul to ride back to Chicago.
What I am looking for is info from the origional Illini RR club flyer, if anyone has a copy in their archives.  Also, if anyone out there was on the trip, any recollections of the excursion through out the trip, and  the return to Chicago via the Milw Rd.
Thanks
Ron Burkhard

Date: 09/21/20 15:31
Re: Labor Day Weekend 1964
Author: UP3806

I rode that trip. If I remember correctly, the fireman, whom I think was a volunteer on the 28, suffered a heart attack. Don't know if he survived. 

We were supposed to have the 5632 from Twin Cities to Chicago but it was a no-show.

I'll look to see if I have any info on the trip.

Tom

Date: 09/21/20 15:43
Re: Labor Day Weekend 1964
Author: CBQ4002

Yes, he did have a heart attack, age 36 as I recall.  He did not survive.  A hat was passed.  I do not remember how much was donated, but it seemed like a nice amount.
Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds